The Pits or How to get rid of the Pits

Guest Scott Roberts

Guest Scott Roberts

HELP, I'm doing my own cad plating which is coming out nicely,

however I have encountered some problems pits in some steel parts. I don't know how to fill them. Filling pits in painted parts has not been much of an issue except for parts that I used eastwoods chassie black on. I have been using JB weld like putty for that. I just can't figure out what to use pryer to cad plating to fill the pits. Some I have polished out but others are to deep. Any help would be great!!!

Thank you, Scott

Guest simplyconnected

You could MIG weld with steel or bronze (brass). I grind/sandblast/HCl-etch, or drill all the rust out first, weld, then file or grind smooth. Using lead solder is ok if you copper plate first, then copper plate again, over the solder.

Metal finishing steel is usually done by dinging out (from the under side), and filing the surface smooth.

as simply connected advises, you need to start with copper plating. You can fill deep pits with solder, file/sand smooth then replate with copper, or if they are shallow pits you can just have the part built up in copper and then sanded down until smooth. There is a definate break-even point with this method based on surface area, enough to make the solder method attractive if the work is big enough.

Guest Scott Roberts

Sorry guys, I guess it would have helped if I told you what I was using. I have eastwoods zinc tin plating system. It's not true cad. On thick sheet metal parts I have punched the back side and smoothed the pits out. The problem is with thick brackets I can't punch, and bolts that I can't find. I don't mind welding a few pits but 50 or so over a two inch area is a bit time consuming. Some of my finished bolts are pictured on the WTB forum. I know we all have some rust to deal with I just havent seen any topics about how to deal with pitting for certin coatings. Thank's again for any help

Can you paint the parts instead? There are some very convincing paint finishes that simulate cad plating. The brake baking plates on my '41 Century are supposed to be cad plated. I powdercoated them instead:

Backing_Plate_final23r2.jpg