1923 Buick 4/39 ready for restore question

DaveAspi

It has been quite awhile, but I have finally started the restore on this rare beauty. The original engine and trani are in fantastic shape. I have the engine moving freely, and will begin to bring her back to life, as soon as I get the proper info from my fellow BCA friends. Which spark plugs to use and where to get them? Preference to oil used? Any words of wisdom? I will be documenting each step along the way, and hope to have it in the Buick Bugle when completed.

Thanks, Dave

I have a '23 4 cyl. roadster. I use Champion W18 gap .025. This comes from an old Champion catalog. I got them at sparkplugs.com, but I don't think they are hard to find. I use a 30w non-detergent oil. However, I know that some on the forum may differ on whether it is ok to use detergent oil.

I am excited to see another '23 4 cyl. Mine was owned by my grandfather for over 50 years and given to me last year. It runs great, has no rust, but needs new paint. Unfortunately, I don't have the knowledge that comes with doing the entire restoration myself, but I have learned quite a bit about the car.

No, I will be restoring the 23 as a survivor. Just going to get it running and will have to replace some of the wood in the top frame, and of course the canvass. But other than that, I hope to just get the mechanicals going and leave it at that. Paint patina looks great, interior is good, as is the undercarriage wood. They are only original once. Pretty fortunate that it is relatively "all" there and in tack.

Dave

My 1st goal is to get the ol' 23 in shape for our big Christmas Parade in Encinitas. Colorado Springs with the BCA sounds like a goos goal as well. I have been documenting each process that is being done- will make a great mini series some day! With the engine turning freely, have dropped the pan and am getting rid of the settled gunk. Actually pretty clean in there! I will need to make a new gasket, pop it back on, drop in some oil, then work on waking the old girl up.

I will post pictures soon.

Dave