Teflon Tape

Bill Stoneberg

Good day y'all,<BR>I am putting all the oil, fuel and vacumn lines back on the engine of my 1950 Buick. If this was a modern car, I would use teflon tape between the lines and the little brass fittings on the engine, carb etc. But as I dont really want to get dinged in judging for the tape I am wondering what I can use ?<BR>What did manufacturers use back in the 50's to seal those threads ?<BR>Thanks<BR>Bill

Are these pipe threaded fittings you are talking about or are they compression and/or flare fittings? You should never need nor use teflon tape or sealants on compression and flare fittings no matter what the age of the vehicle.<P>Off the top of my head I can't think of any fitting on my old car that uses pipe thread, so I am a bit skeptical about your use of tape.

Bill ~ Use whatever turns you on. Just use a razor blade to trim off all visible tape after the finally assembly. There can be no deduction for what can't be seen. Been there, done that, got the award. ~ hvs

Be real careful using teflon tape on the fittings. If any extrudes to the inside of the line, it can restrict it, or pieces can migrate to the carburator ...just to embarass you at the right wrong moment.<BR> I had a plugged fuel filter on a car due to the prior owners over zelous use of teflon tape.<BR> Bill