Adding options?

Guest Oldsman

Guest Oldsman

I'm in the process of restoring a 65 Starfire convert and would appreciate some input on adding additional options. Is there any downside to adding options which weren't originally on the vehicle, or on the build sheet?

Thanks!

I am personally against adding a bunch of options to a car that didn't come with them for several reasons:

1) Cars back then were simply not ordered loaded up. You won't find one out a hundred that was, and it was generally a special order high-line car then. Dealers didn't want to order a car priced out of their local market's reach, knowing: it would probably sit on the lot a while, and a customer could move up to a Buick or Cadillac for same or sometimes less money as a fully loaded Oldsmobile, Pontiac or Chevrolet.

2) Some options had to be ordered in combination with or without other options. If you don't have the factory info at hand, you can easily end up with an obvious fake or a botched installation.

3) Some combinations of added options are totally out of character for the car in question. GTO and W30 owners are especially bad about this. Yes, I said it. Deal with it.

4) If the option were available dealer-installed, such as lamp packages, mirrors, cruise control and the like, they should be installed per factory instruction sheets. I have no problem with these.

Now that you know my opinion of it, it's your car so what are you planning to put on it? You CAN get away with a lot on a Starfire.

Guest Oldsman

I'm considering adding a Reverb-a-tronic to the car. With the interior, console and carpeting removed, now would be the time to install it. The reverb included; a rear seat speaker, factory wiring harness and dash switch and still retains the original "installers note” tag taped to the unit.

With the info and schematics in the body/chassis/electrical/options manuals and on the microfiche films, the installation should be as close to factory correct as possible.

The other additions, aside from the reverb, might be a passenger side view mirror and possibly a set of the cast aluminum wheel covers. N95’s (?) (If could ever find the correct wheels, that is.)

The car is well optioned from the factory, so I’m not trying take a base Starfire into the realm of maxed-out Luxo-liners by any means. Just considering adding a few “cool” options.

If by adding the reverb and wheel cover options, would points be deducted if the car were to be entered in a judged show? Or, for resale purposes, would the price be reduced because the car is not “original” due to the option additions and then the obvious discrepancy in the build sheet?

This is my first restoration attempt and I’m very curious as to what is “acceptable” and what is not. I appreciate any and all input.

Thanks!

Reverb and passenger mirror were available dealer installed. Go for it. Same with the bolt-ons; there's a real nice 65 spinner on ebay today. You know what you're up against finding the wheels. I have a pile of the caps; no wheels. Said the hell with it and used the wire caps. The bolt-ons are just taking up space.

I was thinking you were going for power windows/seat, cornering lamps, stuff like that, since that's what most people try to add. Guy is peddling a pair of 64 cornering lamps on the bay right now, but all he has is the lamps. No wiring harness, no turn signal switch, nothing to properly complete the job.

That's why I like to pull my own options at the junkyard when I can find them.

Items that I know were available dealer installed are:

Power steering and brakes (!)

Any radio and speaker package incl reverb and power antenna

Guide-Matic

Cruise Control (a pain to install and set up on these cars)

Vacuum trunk release

Any wheelcover package

Courtesy lamp groups- underhood, trunk and pass compartment

Outside mirrors and vanity mirror

Superlift shock absorbers

Luggage rack for wagons

Backup lamps (yes, I've seen Starfires without them)

Probably others.

Wouldn't worry about losing judging points at an OCA show from adding options- if the installation is done to standards using correct year stuff. Like I said, you can get away with a lot on a Starfire by the very nature of the car. But when I see a loaded up W30, that tells me whoever owns/restored it doesn't know a thing about those cars or what they were meant for.

Guest imported_joecool72

I'm all for period original options and accessories. The more unique and odd, the better, in my opinion. You see way too many "factory" original cars, but how many do you see out there with period original dealer installed options or aftermarket accessories? I think that can seriously make or break a unique car.

In my opinion, do what you enjoy, but definitely have taste and integrity while doing your resto and most importantly, have fun doing it!!! Save all your original parts so that you can always return it to a "factory" condition for sales or hardcore show purposes, too. If you have the space, save it! I used to judge a few local small shows back in the day, and I always voted for the more unique, unconventional type cars. Be different, but keep the integrity of the car! Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Dave Wyatt

I'll add my $.02 here. Take it easy on the the options. Glenn is correct, fully loaded cars were very rare. Dad had a loaded 61 Bonneville, but is was a special ordered by the original buyer. Most cars were somewhere in between loaded and stripped, with the largest percentage closer to the stripped group.

At one time, I had a used OAI hood and rear spoiler that I was going to put on my 4-4-2. After thinking about it, I sold those parts and left the car as it was built. Then in 1997 in Lansing, I had one of only two 1970 4 speed cars on display, that did not have an OAI hood. I kind of liked that.

And what Glenn said about the W-30's and GTO's is correct, too many are way over optioned. I am still searching for the elusive 4 barrell equipped GTO, I think they made two or three wink.gif

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Oldsman

I’ve been having a great time with the car and have met some great people along the way. It has been a very interesting 5 years, finding the car and searching for parts.

Although adding options will make the car more unique, I've now decided to keep it accurate to the build sheet.

My intention of adding options was abandoned when I recently removed the right front fender. I discovered a 4” square remnant of a build sheet, placed upside down, on the inside of the fender, matching the one I found under the seat a few months ago. I’ve accepted the second build sheet as the “wake-up call” or the “factory default settings”. I looked way too long for an “original” Starfire and now, I making it un-original. ? It is, what it is and not something it never was.

I detect some street racers. I fully understand the “loaded muscle car”, when (serious) muscle cars were usually very “unloaded”. Radio, heater and carpet deletes, trying to convince the factory, or dealership, to remove the windshield wipers/motor and install a truck battery in the trunk! All while sitting on a bench seat and “air” was “an option” obtained from a high RPM hole-shot, or maybe even, a rolled-down window.

As always, thanks for the input!

• 2 weeks later...

I always add options to my cars but they are usually never number correct restorations anyway and are not worth a bunch of money so I do what I want,I usually add cruise control.am/fm and a rear defroster blower motor but they are on my older daily drivers which are from the mid 60s to mid 70s. I usually find the parts on car in the junkyard and get everyting with them. Jeff

• 2 weeks later...