Question about a '63 and installing front radio speakers.

jimtash

I want to upgrade the sound system on the Riv by installing a head unit and 4 speakers.

Anybody have any suggestion as to how to put in front speakers without cutting or destroying anything in the car?

The idea here is to be able to convert the car back to factory original if I ever decide to sell it. Quickly and easily I might add so I don't want to cut any pieces or modify anything to the point that it needs to be replaced.

Thanks for any help.

The easy answer is to use surface mount speakers on the kick panels. Might sacrifice a little foot room - but they would be easily removable - and mounting them to the carpet would not be noticable when removed....

Not going to be the greatest sound - but 4 of these and a subwoofer tube in the trunk will give it acceptable sound....

Do you use your parking brake??? wink.gif

http://www.nextag.com/Pyle-Two-Way-Marine-536663445/prices-html

Jim,

I did this conversion in my 63. I used Infinity 4 by 6 component speakers, built a box with MDF board, (open on back and bottom) covered the speaker with perforated aluminum, then covered the whole thing with open-weave fabric in my interior color. The parking brake is still useable, they clear the fresh-air vents, and they are fairly invisible. I attached them with homemade brackets, the only thing that was cut was the kick panel cardboard / carpet. They sound great! See www.texriviera.com for photos.

• 3 years later...
Guest 63 rivenge

Check out those under the seat speakers on Ebay, about $129.00 for the pair, they claim to be only 2 inches tall, made for Customs etc. I am thinking the same on my own 63

While at the NAIAS in Detroit a couple years back, I saw a vendor sporting a car with transducers instead of speakers. They had the volume cranked up, but you could barely hear anything from the outside, but when you got inside the vehicle it was louder than a rock concert. Obviously, good news for guys who want loud sound but not the attention from the local police.

I know nothing about these, but this link is the first hit from google. They glue onto any surface. I think you could install something like this and not make any permanent damage to your car. They are small enough to mount anywhere.

Surface Transducer Turns Virtually Anything Into A Speaker 309-148