1953 Buick trans problem help!!!

mercer09

Had a friend install a 1953 straight 8 into my 52 super wagon. The trans is a 52 dynaflow. Cannot get the trans and engine to hook up. What am I doing wrong? Will this combination not work? Can I only use a 53 dynaflow trans. Any ideas or suggestions? Was thinking of just getting an adaptor plate (don't know where) and hooking up a 350 chevy trans. Appreciate anyone's expertise in this matter.

The '53-'56 Nailheads had the same bolt pattern for the trans and the '57-'66 Nailheads were the same. The '53 263 straight 8 from a Special should have the same bell housing pattern as the 263 in your '52 Super. The crankshaft ends were different for the Dynaflow and manual transmission cars. So did the '53 engine come from a car with a manual trans? The crankshafts for the 263 interchange will for '50-'53 if needed.

• Thanks 1

I believe the 53 engine was hooked to a dynaflow. That's where the confusion is. Thought for sure it would bolt right up. My buddy said there was a gap and he could not marry the engine and trans together with the torque converter. He is familiar enough with engines, to understand the pilot bearing situation. It was a few years ago, so I need to give him a call and see exactly what the problem was. I can only guess that I may need a 53 trans., but that just doesn't make sense to me either.

I may be off here, and since I wasn't sure I didn't want to chime in. Buick switched to a twin-turbine dynaflow in '53, ad '53 was the last year of the straight eight...I BELIEVE that the earlier Dynaflow will not bolt up with the '53 engine. Go to buicks.net and post in the straught 8 section...if I'm wrong, someone there might know. Good luck!