New Driver, New Car

John Mars

Hello,

After observing this site for a couple months, I've decided it's time to step in and ask for some help. I'm a high school student in upstate New York, and this Saturday I'm going to be getting my first car- a silver '89 Reatta. It has 90,000 miles and hasn't been driven much for the past 10 years or so. It has some problems- Missing engine mount shock spring, broken antenna motor, falling headliner, and every time the car is started, it says that the drivers door is ajar (I'm guessing that is also what is keeping the "light show" from happening). It also has a little bit of rusting around the tire area and I'm thinking I might repaint it black. The interior of the car is a little worn too (leather is dull and maybe ripped, carpets are dirty, dashboard is faded). Well what I'm asking is for a little help. I've never had a car or really looked at one for a decent amount of time, but I would like to learn more and in the process make an amazing car look and beautifully again.

Hi John,

Welcome to the forum! You will find nice people here willing to help with your problems. I would recommend you start by asking for help, one problem at a time. Give us as many details about the problem as you can. Someone here will be glad to help.

Welcome aboard! One thing you will find as a "new" owner of your Reatta is that you will be asking questions about problems with your car that have probably been addressed before. You also will probably run into a series of issues that will work themselves out over time. You have a classic car in the making with a very dependable drive train. Just be patient with the "small" stuff and enjoy the car.

I just went thru the same issue with my "light show" not working and the door ajar warning. The "light show" issue turned out to be the door actuater. The unit was fine, but the rubber the power door lock rod pushes against was tore. Your test would be pressing the power door lock button and watching for free travel on the door lock button. If it doesn't move from lock to unlock with one press of the button, but requires several presses of the button, I would say that is your problem.

The "door is ajar" warning is an indication that the plastic clip down by the lock is either broke or loose. Both these paerts are readily available from Jim Finn our resident used parts guy. To replace both parts you will have to remove the interior door panel. The actuater is a simple repair, the door is a jar lead is a little more involved.

The headliner will need replacement that is explained with a tutorial on Ronnies website.

Good luck!

Instructions for removing the door panel are on the website as well. They can be found here.

Dave, if you have written, (tell me where to find it), or would like to write instructions for fixing the door actuator I would be happy to add it to my website. I think I have the same problem you describe. My lock button moves slow and I have to press it two or three times to get it to move all the way.

Sorry it has been some time since I did it.

The big thing is the instructions on removing the door, which you have.

The actuater is easy to get to and is held in place by, I believe 3 10mm bolts. The clip to remove the rod is also simple. The door ajar clip is a bit more involved. If I remember right a cross member/window bracket has to be removed [on the latch end] inside the door. [i took the part off at the junk yard and had my mechanic friend install it on my car]. He was done in about 20-30 minutes using hand tools, no specialty tools.

Sorry that is all I can tell you.

Hi John, the Power Antenna is no big deal. I've had Reattas for most of the past 18 years and have been able to find replacements at Junk/Salvage Yards without any problem ... generally cost $9.00 with a $1.00 refundable core charge and take 15 minutes to swap out. I must add that some on this Forum dispute that saying they’ve had no such luck ... so make up your own mind if a trip to the local yard is warranted. I have purchase probably ten of them over the years … in fact I keep a spare here that I got at a junkyard. There are also kits which you may be able to find by doing a search on this site (this was discussed within the past six months) ... it is my understanding the one that is a actual fit is no longer sold but one that is a reasonable match is still available. In my opinion a good idea here is to ask the parts guy or gal at the GM dealership where to purchase a kit … I asked out of curiosity a few months ago when I was there for something else and the guy seemed to have the needed info.

Back to the junkyard if you are interested. Take a digital photo with you (or the old Antenna) to the junkyard and look in the trunk of most GM cars in the general age group ... the only difference is the bracket ... and you already have the bracket so you simply change it. Some of the newer GM cars reversed the Antenna so they will take more work (you'll have to loosen a couple of screws and the motor rubber stabilizer and simply spin the Antenna shaft. Not a big deal. The other thing to be aware of is the fender nut and the rubber grommet, which is at a specific angle ... again, no big deal.

Do not bother with an Antenna that is either partially or all the way up … the nylon cable is likely broken, which is probably the same problem the antenna on your forthcoming Reatta has.

To remove the Antenna: Undo the nut on the fender > Pull back the trunk side carpet > Undo the two bracket screws (and the ground wire if there is one) > Unplug the Antenna wire > Pull out carefully. Reverse the procedure for the installation.

Good luck, John in Sarasota

Guest TommyH

I would not repaint the car. If you have seen the charts, and your Reatta is Gunmetal Grey, you are sitting on the rarest(known) color of Reatta.

Also, making such a major color change is difficult.

Also, I have a black Reatta, with grey interior, and when it is 78-80° outside, in the sun, I have to open the door and stand out of the way of the heat that comes billowing out. I love black cars, but the summer is killer, and it is not even August yet frown.gif

Guest William Vernon

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 89REATTAJIM</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Tommy, the "California Pop Top" makes all the difference in the world in interior temperatures. </div></div>

What size top do you order for the Reatta? Thanks.

I just got the car yesterday, and it's in a little worse shape than I thought. I probably am going to paint the car to dark grey (its silver right now), there are just so many scratches. Is that a good choice for a color change?

There is a thread somewhere on this forum about the Cal Pop Top. To order, just go to their web site, when asked for size, just put "REATTA". I think it just a bit pricey, but after a day in the Fl sun, the car's interior is as if it had been parked in the shade. Will help keep the interior plastics & leather in good shape.

Guest William Vernon

Yes, thank you. Just to note, when you hit the purchase tab on the Cal Pop Top site, the Reatta is clearly identified as C16.

Guest Drake

John, If YOU like the color, then it's the RIGHT choice. In some instances, changing the original color of a collector car, will decrease it's value. Just remember, it's your car, & you worked hard to get it. ENJOY IT.