I am new to this car, and could use a little guidance

GuitarVince

Hi Everyone,

I have been driving my 1989 Coupe with 48k back and forth to work, with only two minor issues. One is an intermitant clipping in the radio, the other is a rough idle, which I attribute to 10 yr old gas.

Now the battery has been near dead two mornings in a row, but when I did a systems check everthing said 'ok'. This morning I discovered that you could press the ok, to go in depth. Every spot I check it says ok, but when I press ok, it tells me there is a problem. Low Oil pressure, but guage reads fine. Low volts, high temp, etc, but the guages are all fine. Does it need to be reset? Thanks for any info.

Guitar

Guest Durahansolo

I think I remember reading this on this forum but I dont remember exactly where, but the Diagnostic menu that has OK next to all of the system shows example messages that you would see if there was an error with one of those system elements.

To be sure you could go into diagnostic mode by pushing the CLIMATE button to go to the climate menu and then hold down the WARM and OFF buttons together for a few seconds. This will bring up a diagnostic menu showing ECM BCM and CRT under each system. There will be a code starting with Exxx for ECM Bxxx for BCM or Cxxx for CRT. After flashing the codes it will display "ECM?" if you press yes it will allow you to clear the codes for that system as well as view or override system data, if you press no it will move on to the next system. After you clear the codes if anything comes up later on, post them back here.

I don't know for sure about the clipping could possibly be a result of capacitors inside of the radio going out since that seems to be the main issue with the radio box.

Guest Greg Ross

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GuitarVince</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> a rough idle, which I attribute to 10 yr old gas. </div></div>

A couple of things you might consider doing;

Run a batch of good Injector Cleaner thru. If the car has been parked for 10 years then the whole fuel system is going to be pretty varnished up.

Next thing on the agenda would be to clean the the engine Sensors-MAF and IAC

Then there's plugs and ignition wires, and....

Guest Mike_s

If you plan on using a high dose of Techron to clean the fuel system and combustion chambers I'd wait to change the plugs until after the using the Techron.

The modulle/resistor circuit that controls the blower fan

can go bad and keep the blower on when the car is off and

hense drain your battery. As I understand it, when you shut

the engine off, the seros switch back to defrost mode so you

will not feel any air moving through the regular dash vents.

Pull the lead on the blower motor to keep the battery from

discharging. Module is on top of the A/C plenum, just behind

the power steering pump. Two connectors.

What do you mean by "clipping in the radio"?

Regards,

1989 White/Blue