Connecticut Model 16 Distributor fits what car?

Pat_n_Pat

Can anyone help me identify what car this Distributor and Drive belongs to? The bottom of the distributor has the following: “Connicticut Tel & Elec Co Inc Model 16 Igniter 1200-F 2B (or could be 28)”

From my research, the Model 16 was pre-1920. Connecticut ignitions were used on a lot of early orphan cars including the Overland and possibly Dort.

The Distributor Drive and mount will hopefully give someone a clue. It is for a 4 cylinder car. The Mount has “I-1” and the letter “A”.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance, Pat

Connecticut%20Distributora.jpgConnecticut%20Distributora1.jpgConnecticut%20Distributora2.jpgConnecticut%20Distributora3.jpg

The 4 lobes on the cam would mean 4 cylinders. Mounting dimensions are the same as a magneto. Similar units were made by Delco, Northeast, Splitdorf and others both as original equipment and as replacements for magnetos. A good example of this is a 4 cylinder Dodge, originally magneto ignition then Delco then Northeast all on the same mount. Sorry I do not have info on possible application for this particular unit.

I had not thought of the mag to coil conversion market. While the Connecticut Igniters were used on a lot of now defunct cars (about the only ones that still are around are Dodge and Buick), I could see where conversion to a coil ignition would be a good idea.

I put the base up to a Bosch NU4 magneto we have.....the holes match!

Could this be a "universal" conversion for any 4 cylinder with a magneto?

Thanks for the info. It is a start. Anyone else have info on specific applications?

Pat

If you put up a pix showing the points, I can list the cars that the points were used on. If that would help. Based on the half moon shaped arm I would say it could fit an Allen, Bricoe, American, Care, Dort, Earl, just to list a few that used the Connecticut ignition.

Dan

As stated several almost extinct cars used that ignition. Here is a sample:

Willys Knight 18-23

Tulsa '18-22

Stephens '20-21

Rollin '24-25

Pilot '21-24

Overland '17-23

Monroe '17-23

Mitchel '17

Metz '19-22

Handley Knight '21-23

Earl '21-23

Dort 1'7-22

Dixie Flyer '17-20

Crow Elkhart '17-21

Chevrolet (early) '17

Case '17

Briscoe '17-21

Anderson '17-19

American '19-20

Allen '17-22

Now how is that for a tip-toe-thru-the-tulips of the past.

How many member can say they know where each car on this list is located?

How this helps someone. I must have too much time on my hands.!

Dan

• 3 years later...

My 1916 Monroe with Sterling engine uses the Model 16 distributor. Does yours mount onn the back of the generator, or run off the cam shaft? Ed Emerson

From the list above I recognise the name Handley-Knight. I remember seeing an example at Harrahs in 1978 which was supposedly the only survivor and I think the same car was for sale (on the net) in the UK not too long ago - last year maybe?

There is a 1920 Briscoe lives about 15 minutes away from me. I drove it a few years ago to do an article for our club magazine.

Edited by nzcarnerd (see edit history)

• 6 months later...