Double-clutching question

CBoz

Question for you oldtimers --

I've rebuilt the tranny and have a fresh clutchplate. Technically, I have synchronized gears in 2nd and 3rd, but would it still be beneficial from a wear perspective to learn how to double-clutch? Note that the '37 has the older style synchro mechanism, like Fords of the same year.

Feel free to "double clutch" I doubt that it will make any difference. My 36 shifts fine either way. I doubt that it will "save" any wear on the transmission, as long as your normal shifting is gentle and positive, it drops right in as well as any manual I've ever driven. For the most part I think we drivers of older cars pay more attention to the sounds our cars make and find the "sweet spots" for shifting anyway. You get to learn your particular car and it becomes second nature as to when the gears will engage perfectly and silently.

Hey Boz, my expierence is alway's use the "Long" pressure

plate, it's semi centrifical and reduces the chance of

grinding gears, Ford used them on all tractors and car's.

Those have critical measurement from the face of fly wheel

to the adjustable fingers on the pressure plate,So if you use any other you will have trouble and may need to double clutch like a truck.

Zman

Double-Clutching is actually pretty easy, once you get the hang of it. You probably won't ever need to double-clutch between second and third gears and you will seldom need to go back into first gear at anything other than a standstill.

However, double-clutching is a means of getting the engine side of the transmission gears spinning at the same speed as the vehicle by engaging the clutch in neutral, revving up the motor until it is at or near the RPMs it would be when in gear, then shifting into the desired gear.

After you get good enough at estimating the correct RPM for your road speed in the desired gear, you can actually shift the transmission without using the clutch at all. Just slip into neutral, rev up the engine, and slip into the lower gear.

It's easy to upshift without clutching, a little trickier when downshifting.