Exhaust replacement parts??

Guest wayne2reattas

Guest wayne2reattas

I have a 88. I had planned on replacing my exhaust this weekend. But can't find any parts. I called NAPA , Auto-zone , Pep boys - Thay all said they have no replacement parts. Auto Zone said he has a cat that SHOULD work. Would appreciate any information. Thanks!

Guest Greg Ross

GM Parts Direct appear to have stock on complete systems for a '90 Reatta (2-1/4" Dia same as your '88) You can even buy new Manifolds bad as they are/ were!

These would be all stainless parts as was original so be prepared, all OEM parts would run you about $2000. for the whole kit.

If you're considering new OEM then definitely condider going to '91 parts, this is a 2-1/2" dia system. Appears GM parts Direct have all the parts except the front pipe and it would be simple to have fabbed at a Muffler Shop.

Or take it to an aftermarket shop and have a system custom bent. Aluminized Steel or Stainless, your choice.

Guest Greg Ross

Ok,

another possibility may be the AfterMarket Parts Vendors, NAPA, AZ, PEP Bros. etc. if you enquire for '88 to '92 or so Riviera, difference will be the length in the mid body area, cut and reflair as required for the shorter Reatta pan.

I would suggest a mufler shop to bend the pipes and a cammaro single to dual looks good and fits nicely. All manifolds from 88 FWD to 95 FWD will work for the Reatta. A down pipe and cat can be baught from autozone for about $100. I just got one about 3 months ago.

Unless you want it stock, then $2K is what you will most likely be looking at.

A cammaro one fits nicely and you get the dual look, but for a muffler that fits I would go talk with a local muffler shop. There are many that would look stock and even some that would probably match up with the Reatta. Like I said talking with some one that does it daily is a good bet, and advice is usally free there.

Guest jcc3inc

Gentlemen,

My copied notes rom this forum show a page #4, "Technical update" by Barney wherein he goes over the Reatta exhaust. I believe this is in the Reatta Data File that he maintains.

Briefly, the system is identical to the Rivera but the pipe from the converter to the muffler is 9.5 inches shorter for the Reatta. Therefore modification of the Riv system should be OK for the Reatta.

I can scan this page if needed.

Regards,

Jack C.

wayne2... the 1986-1993 Riviera mufflers will fit but ...

the Riviera used a single outlet on the muffler, so the Riviera muffler is not the first choice. As someone above mentioned, when Buick went to the "L" series engine in 1991, the exhaust size increased from 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 inches.

You probably cannot tell the difference with the larger pipes especially with the manifold restriction.

The Camaro muffler is a good choice because..........

(1) it is for a popular car and many muffler companys make it.

(2) It is slightly shorter than the Reatta, giving you more room for bends.

(3) Because may companys make the Camaro muffler, you have a bigger choice in construction, sound, and price.

What year Camaro? My catalogs show 1983-1997 used the 1 in 2 out muffler. The catalog also shows the tailpipe size is 2 1/2 for all years.

Go to www.xlerator.com and look at their catalog.

Also, for those that might question the Camaro muffler configuration, it used one "out" on each end of the muffler,

if you read the muffler information from most of the manufacturers, they state you can use any of the fitting as the "in" and any as the "out", making them universal for many applications.

Nittany's picture shows the muffler as used on the Camaro (and in the picture his Reatta)

For a stock look, the muffler is flipped and the single opening on the left becomes the inlet. You then have two openings that are the outlets like the original Reatta muffler.

Guest Greg Ross

Be careful with the Camaro style muffler if you're intending to install it as a stock style muffler with the two outlets off the one end. The first installer who put a new stainless system on my car took the liberty of piping up to the muffler the easiest way he could see. The result was a straight through "VERY LOUD" sound. ie; with some makes of Muffler it does matter whether you use the correct inlet.

Guest wayne2reattas

Thanks for all the info. I dropped it off tonight. I also copied all the info about the duals , camaro muffler etc. I am going to North Carolina for the next few days. I am picking it up Sunday. I will let you know the results! Thanks again for all the info.