WTB: Rochester Q-Jet Carburetor for '70 455

BadgerRivFan

Took my '70 Riv to my mechanic due to a leaky radiator, and was advised that my carburetor also has a leak at the inlet. It appears that the inlet threads have been messed with, and as a result my mechanic says I need a new carburetor (unable to rebuild or repair). I know I can buy an after-market Edelbrock or Holley, etc., but I'm a stock guy and would really like to find a replacement Q-Jet. The carb number I need is 7040247LA. Anybody have one they'd be willing to part with? Thanks!

Al, there is an oversized repair kit available, I used on my '68 GS 350 Qjet about well, lets say 26 yrs ago, and it still works. I understand it may be available at Advance Auto and other places like that, it doesn't look like a mess, either, with the air cleaner on you can't even see it.

Also look at Rock Auto They have reman and others available for under $300.

Can we take this discussion a little further? I wonder why these carbs seem to have such a high rate of failure at this part? Is there a trick to getting this filter out without damaging the threads?

And

I also wonder if this is something a helicoil can correct?

Al - the carb number you need is pretty scarce; but yours is probably repairable using a heli-coil by a machine shop that offers the service.

If you cannot find one locally, Google Cliff Ruggles of Cliff's High Performance in Ohio. He offers the service ala carte; and can also do a job on your Q-Jet. He is the one who wrote the book on Q-Jets a couple of years ago.

If you are unable to locate him, email me, and I will email you his number.

Jon.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JohnD1956</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can we take this discussion a little further? I wonder why these carbs seem to have such a high rate of failure at this part? Is there a trick to getting this filter out without damaging the threads?

And

I also wonder if this is something a helicoil can correct? </div></div>

Rochester QJet fuel filter removing tip

This tip is from Rochester.

Jon.