Book(s) recommended on Model A restoration?

Jim Cannon

I am beginning mechanical restoration of my '29 A (brakes and steering right now) and would like suggestions on the 1 or 2 books, reference manuals, shop manuals, etc. you guys would recommend that I get before I start.

I don't want to drown in a pile of books. What are the 2 "best"?

Thanks!

Jim, to really know the mechanics of your car I would suggest three books:

1)"Model A Ford Construction Operation and Repair for the Restorer" by Victor Page. This book was written not long after the Model A era, and I believe geared towards garages who serviced these cars. Has been reprinted many times and the parts houses usually have it. Since it was written so long ago there are some passages that are a bit long and "old fashioned" but I think it is the most comprehensive book on the mechanics of these cars you will find.

2) Pick one of these: Les Andrews "Model A Mechanics Handbook" and Shild's "Model A shop Manual" are both pretty good, I have them both but find I use Andrews more - a little more detail and spiral bound like a notebook, so it lays on a workbench easily. Info in both is pretty close.

3) Compilation of Ford Service update letter reprints, these are also available from the parts houses, I will get you the title if interested, I keep my copy in the garage and both people and dogs are pretty much settled in for tonight. These are good though, especially for troubleshooting.

Now, I know you don't want to drown in books, but one more thought - if you belong to a local club see if they have a book/video library. Both nationals have compiled tech articles that go into more detail than either Andrews or Schild for example, on brakes. Also, I know there is a video out on brakes, not so sure on steering. Also, another advantage of local membership - surely someone in your area has done both of these common tasks, advice is generally free!

Good luck on the work!

• Like 1

Thanks, Steve. I have the book full of reprints fo the original Ford Service Bulletins. I will look for those other 2 books. I do belong to a local Club, I know I can get help and reference material from them. I just want to get a couple of the best all-around references for myself.

• 2 weeks later...

There are no 2 books to have. Pretty much they all have errors so relying on so few will cause you grief in the end.

To restore your car you must understand the how and why of the car so you can make the best informed decisions.

Are you aware the Model A as built by Ford was designed to run 55 MPH? To be able to produce such a car required Ford to use special materials and precision machining. The car was pre-engineered so an untrained monkey could assemble it. Unlike many cars at the time that were assembled by skilled mechanics and custom built on the line. If you return your car to the original precision the Ford used when he built it then your will run 60 MPH and feel comfortable at that speed.

You really want to read books such as 'Know the Model A Ford' by Murry Fahnstock, the service bulletins, and the service letters. Personally I find Jim Schlid's shop manual to be better, but it is flawed too. Les's book will tell you to replace a part that is worn, but not tell you how to properly determine what is worn.

Then you have club magazines and others telling you that the brakes are not safe or the generator is not good. For an extra few thousand you can put modern stuff on your car. The reprints of old technical articles that available from both clubs are interesting, but very dated. The painting section shows you how to paint with products that are no longer made (or even would want to use if they were still available). The brake rebuilding articles (and video) are too old to include the availability of modern quality reproduction parts such as cast drums.

Most of the information you need to keep up to date is available on forums such as fordbarn.com and ahoogh.com. Their archives are a good place to start.