Pool of coolant on intake Manifold!

fsc2

I removed the plastic cover from the intake manifold last night only to see about 1/16" of standing coolant pooled in the flat (bottom) of the intake manifold itself (just to the left of the manifold coolant outlet). I checked to see if the manifold coolant outlet or hose was leaking and did not see a leak at those joints.

I checked the oil (dipstick) to see if the oil was foamy and it was not, the oil just looked dirty not foamy.

So, you guys or gals out there that may know something or have had a similar problem, could you please give me some advice? Maybe there is another place to check for a coolant leak that I am not seeing (maybe it is hidden by the intake manifold....)

Thanks in advance. Every problem that I have encountered with this vehicle has been resolved by using this forum.

If the thermostat housing has been recently removed it is possible that coolant is just standing there from where it leaked when the housing was removed. Coolant takes a long time to evaporate.

Otherwise it could possibly be the intake manifold gaskets. Clean all the coolant from the area. If you have the proper tools you can pressurize the radiator and look for the leak to appear. If you don't have the tools you can start the car and let it get hot and build pressure. Watch very closely to see where the leak first appears. IF it is the gasket, try tightening the manifold to the proper torque and it may stop leaking

Guest steakneggs

I'm in the process of changing the hoses on the Steakmobile. Besides the two large radiator hoses there are two small bypass hoses. One goes into the throttle body and the other is under the alternator. Those smaller ones probably have never been changed. Hope your issue does not require you to pull the intake! Steak

When I purchased my '89 I had my mechanic friend replace all the gaskets he could get to. We also did all the hoses. The lttle ones that steak referred to were bulging and ready to blow. I would follow his lead and check them all. Ronnies idea is also great.

Hi Guys,

First I want to explain how I ended up with this car. My father bought this car new in 1989, and he loved it. Two years ago he gave it to my brother in law, he didn't take very good care of it. Last year the car was given to me, it was in rough shape but I have fixed it up, with some help from this forum. My father was pretty excited to see I was taking care of it. I figured my father and I would be taking the car for a cruise this summer, but unfortunately he recently passed on. Now I really want to get this car back on the road!

So basically this car is new to me and needs some TLC.

That being said I called the above mentioned brother in law last night and asked if he had some coolant system work done. Initially the answer was "no", but after a minute the answer became "yes". Apparently something WAS done with the thermostat.

After cleaning up the coolant and running the car for 10 minutes or so, I didn't notice any coolant leaks. I am hoping that the coolant was a resultant of a mechanic not being very careful/caring.

So thanks for the advice, at the worst I have become more familiar with the cooling system and hidden hose locations. AND I feel better about the situation.

Unfortunately, whatI did notice is that the valve covers wheep? horribly! Those will be up to bat this summer.

Guest Greg Ross

These style of moulded valve covers use an insert type/ replaceable seal. Might be worth checking to make sure the bolts/ fasteners are tight. Maybe solve your leaks problem.

Thank you Mike.

I just regeistered the car this afternoon so I can use it to get to the golf course this weekend.

It may sound a little odd, but the car still smells like my father (cologne I guess). He loved this car and I will always think of him when I am driving it.

Every man should have a momento of something from their father. My father died when I was a teenager and I have his watch. There is nothing more special then having something they valued.

Good for you that you have the car and that you value it.

Guest simplyconnected

fsc2, every time you drive that car, know that your dad is smiling. Funny, how love manifests itself through many things. Keep up your good work and the memory of your dad as long as you can. (I sorely miss mine, too.) - Dave Dare

Do you know if the coolant was changed when the thermo was replaced? And if so, whether some sealant was put in with the new coolant. I understood that most cars with aluminum radiators called for a sealer to be put in with evry coolant change. For many years, GM called for the organic pellets.

I am not sure about when the last coolant change was. I put about 100 miles on the car this weekend and found coolant leaking was from the hose on the left side of the motor that Steak mentioned. I tightened the clamp up and it stopped leaking. So far there isn't any coolant on the intake, I will keep an eye on it.

I have to clean the motor up a bit. Between the coolant hose leaking, the wheeping valve covers and now a possible transmission leak.....the car is a mess. BUT I will get it fixed!

When you tightened the hose clamp, was it noticeably loose? If not, I would be a litte wary of just tightening a clamp on a hose that spends its life in a hard hot place and has probably never been renewed. Often, tightening the clamp on an old hose may slowly garot it into submission. I would cut that thing out and replace it before it leaves you stranded somewhere far less convenient than your garage.

Well now that the car has been running, there seems to be fluids coming out of everywhere! I am always reluctant to just tighten up a hose clamp, as "Richard S" pointed out because you do end up on the side of the road somewhere. I felt comfortable tightening that one up because it took very little torque to move it.

Last night with the car running I noticed that the Intake Manifold Seal was slowly wheeping coolant. I looked at the FSM and I am not sure exactly what the function of this particular seal is, but it obviously must be keeping the coolant in.

Between the wheeping valve covers, 2 leaking coolant hoses and a the wheeping Intake Manifold Seal, it appears that I will be ripping the car apart.

Time to get dirty!

Oh yeah, I have one more question. As I read the FSM last night, it calls out to apply PN 1052624 to the intake manifold bolts (which I assume is Loctite Blue), and it says to apply PN 12345336 to the ends of the intake manifold seals (not sure what this is, some type of gasket sealer). Any clarification would be nice.