Aux inputs

D-a-n-i-e-l

OK if you have not guessed I love modifying my car. I have noticed a lot of people are asking about input or options for adding or replacing the tape player in our 88/89 Reattas. Well here is my take on it, and it has worked wonderfully for me. First off there are three types of radios that AC Delco made that can be controlled by our TCC. So if mine looks a bit different it is because it is not the original Reatta radio. That does not matter for what I am going to show here. All the connection on the radios are the same.

As I stated in an earlier post, there are two sets of inputs to these radio brains.

First you will want to visit your local junk yard, or even better a pick-a-part yard. You will be looking for a couple different GM models. (88-94 pickups, 88-89 Reatta, 87-89 Riviera, 95+/- Regal, 96+/- Cadillac Eduardo and Deville) All of these have one form or another of our brain box. You can get the connector to do the input mod.

I had thought that all these radios were marked with the wire connections but I was mistaken. So I am going to post a picture of the wiring list.

DSCN1305.jpg

OK there are two low level inputs on these radios. The lower one (as installed in the Reatta) is able to be overridden by the upper one, when there are two audio signals. This is useful if you want to keep your tape deck or want to add a permanent device and have a second input for a MP3 or other device.

I am only posting pictures of the lower aux input, but I will describe what connections are used for the upper as well.

The upper (overriding) aux input: This is the one I would use if I was keeping the tape deck or using both connections Pin #11 is the left positive (this is the first pin on the upper left, as the radio is installed in the Reatta). Pin #12 is the aux common/negative (second pin from the upper left). Pin # 13 is the right positive. (third pin from the upper left). To install this to phono/RCA plugs; the #11 would be hooked into the left/white center wire; the # 12 would be hooked into both outer wires; #13 will be connected to the right/red center wire.

The lower (existing tape deck connection): Pin #9 is the left positive (this is the 8th pin counting from the heat sink). Pin #11 is the aux common/negative (6th pin from the heat sink). Pin # 10 is the right positive. (7th pin from the heat sink). To install this to phono/RCA plugs; the #9 would be hooked into the left/white center wire; the # 11 would be hooked into both outer wires; #10 will be connected to the right/red center wire.

I would suggest using a solder connection. Although, I have also used tape to do these connections, with little downfalls.

DSCN1311.jpgDSCN1313.jpg

Guest simplyconnected

16 14V . . . . . 11 L-AUX. . . . LF-1

15 H-GRD . . . 12 AUD-C . . . .LF+2

14 DIM . . . . . 13 R-AUX. . . . RF-3

13 T-0N. . . . .14 AUD-C . . . RF+4

12 BAT . . . . .15 VOICE. . . .GRD5

11 L-GRD . . . 16 GRD . . . . P-LT6

10 R-AUD . . . 17 RR- . . . . . DIM7

9 L-AUD. . . . 18 RR+ . . . . . ANT8

8 MUTE . . . . 19 LR- . . . . . IGN9

7 DAT . . . . . 20 LR+ . . . . .BAT10

6 DAT

5 BAT

4 IGN

3 DIM

2 P-LT

1 GRD

I had nothing better to do until my auction closes, so I thought I would help copy the hard to read numbers. I don't know but I hope it helps, Dan.

Guest Mc_Reatta

Has anyone looked into modifying the other end of the radio and adding preamp outputs so you can still control the volume, balance and equalization with the touch screen (88, 89), but then use a higher power, higher quality amplifier to drive the speakers and maybe add a subwoofer?

Mc-Reatta,

I know that someone (probably Daniel, since he has spearheaded most discussion on 88/89 radio mods on here) posted that a mid-90's Cadillac RIM (radio module) with no on-board amp could be swapped in and external amps could be used. In doing this though, I believe you loose the EQ/tone control (no longer shown on screen).

It should be easy enough for someone with electronic repair skills to trace the audio path through the RIM and tap off for pre-outs just ahead of the power amp stage inside the box. Then you could run any power amps you liked for either all speakers, or just a sub. I would offer to do this but I have a 1991, and no access to a working 88/89 style setup on which I can experiment.

Daniel may have already figured this out too, and can post about it.

KDirk

I have done a lot with these radios, and there are many ways to add amplifiers. The question is what kind of sound are you looking for.

here are a couple links to get started

http://forums.aaca.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=476735

http://forums.aaca.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=393517

I am also working on a few other things, and will post on them in a while.

Guest campolojr

Hey guys I have used this product here and it has worked great. You can go get splicers like this one that install in a couple seconds AFX_8_01250_S.JPG. Or some aftermarket amplifiers have a High level input with for wires looks like a connector the top two are the positive and the bottom two are the ground.

ampqq6.png

yes that is one of the ways, but I would pick up the speaker level to line converter from walmart. The one they sell is four chanel and also has pass through for the speakers, if you are just adding a sub. I would also avoid any amp that says xploid, because it is nothing but a name these days. I took the 1000 watt sony xploid out of my brother-in-law's car and replaced it with a 100 watt MTX. he begged me to let him have the amp. There was no compitition. Pluss the MTX was a less than a quarter the size.

Guest campolojr

Oh I totally agree it was the only picture I could find of an amp with that angle. My local walmart does not sell the converter sepretly I had to buy a amp and sub combo to recive the converter but it is a six channel front, back and sub. I could get a picture but model number is Tis audio t510pk. I ran one full range amp on tweeters, horns, 6x9s in the same box as two 12's and had a seprate amp for those. Sounded great for rock which is mainly what I listen to.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...