1950 book about 1917 Stanley

Hi- just read a neat little book published in 1950, about a guy in the northeast who found and got on the road a 1917 Stanley; anyone know what happened to that particular car, a 5 passenger touring? It was good reading. David Coco Winchester Va.

I remember that book. Many interesting and funny experiences in finding a Stanley and getting it on the road.

When hauling his find home the truck driver chose to let his helper drive while he reclined at his ease in the back of the Stanley, smoking a cigar.

A passerby asked "what kind of car is that?" and he responded, "Stanley Steamer, late model". Ha ha ha.

Maybe someone would recognise the author - owner's name if you gave it?

The book is <span style="font-style: italic">The Story of a Stanley Steamer</span>, by George Woodbury. One of the subsequent owners was the Rev. Stanley W. Ellis (an Episcopal Priest). It is still believed to be in the US. Car # is 17225.

• 1 month later...

There is a picture of the car at stanleyregister.net. The Stanleys that have been recorded on the register are listed by year. That car is under 1917. It is still in the US. The owner of the website does not publish current owners of the cars due to privacy reasons, however previous owners if known are listed.

Hi- thanks, glad to get a look at the picture of the car. Neat register, I can understand somewhat not listing owner's names, but it would seem they could give permission to list and at least put some of them on it. But, a register of a specific set of cars is great to have and hard to keep current. I did a register of all known 1909-10 Model 16/17 Buicks about 10 years ago (almost 50 cars), and mailed it to all listed owners; 2 years later it was way out of date! Hard to keep up with who buys what from whom.

Again thanks for link to Stanley register site. David Coco