What year is this??

Guest SHORTDOG99

Guest SHORTDOG99

What year does this dash board seem to be? I just bought a 40 Zephyr sedan and this is the dash in it. I have looked at other 1940 dash boards and they are different as is the 41. I have however researched the 42 and this dash seems to be what is inside the 42.....Is my car a 42 or a 40? or did Lincoln use different dashes for Luxury vs. Standard models?? Here is the dash and a ful shot of the car as well..

40lincoln4.jpg

zephyr5.jpg

40lincoln3.jpg

zephyr3.jpg

Guest imported_V12Bill

Your dash appears to be a 1946 Zephyr. The 46 had gages with maroon backgrounds. The 1942 had a similar dash, but the background was dark blue, I think. The steering wheel is definately 1946 to 48 and the right front hubcap is a late 47 or 48.

Hey Robert, you have the most mish-mashed '40 Zephyr I have ever seen, some one has put a 1946/early '47 dash and steering wheel in it, it has a left '40 front grille, and a right '41, it has 40 tail lites. door handles, and bumpers, and late '47 or '48 hubcaps, but that does look like the '40 hot-water heater, right guys? But don't feel bad, even the Ford family and FDR "updated" their L's, but to make this sedan a gennie '40 again is going to take some work and some moolah, good luck-

post-51946-143137975362_thumb.jpg

Guest SHORTDOG99

Ok well to clear things up a little....Everything you say seems to be true...except, that the grilles are the same. After looking over other pics and going out to look at the car. The grilles are the same (see new pic). But why do you suppose someone would put a 46-48 dash in a 40? Everything else seems to be 40 right? (besides the hub caps which probably came from the same car as the dash)If they did do a swap, they did a real nice job because it looks like it was in there for many years and it also looks factory done. But again why would someone do this without changing anything else but the dash?? HHhmmmmmm!

tu.jpg

Hey Robert, my eyes are not too good any more, but someone has been at work on that car since the previous pic was taken, the right grille definitely has the '41 surround on it, the left is a '40 with the pointy ends, some one took out thr center spacer and the ersatz bumper guards, I know a guy that needs a '40 spacer if you or anyone has one to part with, the dashes strangely enough all interchange from '40 to '48, and they unbolt with some difficulty, but fit perfectly as the basic bodies were all the same in those years, you are definitely on the road to recovery though congratulations, your front hubcaps have the gold Lincoln script which is late '47-'48, the dash is '46 or early '47, keep up the good work-

I'm not a Zephyr expert, so please forgive the question if I'm way off track here.

If the bodies are basically the same for the pre-war and post-war models, is it conceivable that the car is actually a '46 or '47 that someone has added the '40 front sheetmetal to?

Guest SHORTDOG99

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rolf Burdette</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey Robert, my eyes are not too good any more, but someone has been at work on that car since the previous pic was taken, the right grille definitely has the '41 surround on it, the left is a '40 with the pointy ends, some one took out thr center spacer and the ersatz bumper guards, I know a guy that needs a '40 spacer if you or anyone has one to part with, the dashes strangely enough all interchange from '40 to '48, and they unbolt with some difficulty, but fit perfectly as the basic bodies were all the same in those years, you are definitely on the road to recovery though congratulations, your front hubcaps have the gold Lincoln script which is late '47-'48, the dash is '46 or early '47, keep up the good work- </div></div>

Look again, the grilles are exactly the same and yes body work has been started on the front end because of previous owner bottom'ng out on his drive way but grilles are the same...pics are deceaving. I'll keep you posted on the center spacer... wink.gif

Guest SHORTDOG99

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1948Lincoln</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice Linc.! Where did you find it? </div></div>

I found it in Orange County.

Well, that's an interesting metamorphosis. Rolf's eyes are NOT deceiving him. That right side grille in your first set of photos is DEFINITLY a 1941 part. **SOMEBODY** swapped it out between photos and also removed the funny bumper guards.

As to putting 1940 fenders, hood, taillights, bumpers, stainless side trim on a 1946, 47, or 48 car. Not likely!! That would be a FAR bigger job than changing the dashboard, and for what purpose? People seldom wish to regress the model year of their car. In fact, when new cars became available again after WWII, a LOT of 1942 Lincolns were 'updated' with post war grilles and bumpers to make the neighbors think that they were new cars.

Guest SHORTDOG99

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CBoz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You clearly have a gremlin problem -- they replaced your 41 grill piece with a correct 40, but they took your wipers at the same time wink.gif </div></div>

They might have tried to get the wipers but didn't succeed because i still have them.. wink.gif I'll thank them for putting on the correct grille piece though.. grin.gif

Thanks Phil and sharp eyed Cecil, when I read what short said before I thought, "Ok, I have rounded the bend, and it is time to hang it up", but I am vindicated, and will hang around squinting through one eye for a while yet, for better or worse-

Guest SHORTDOG99

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rolf Burdette</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks Phil and sharp eyed Cecil, when I read what short said before I thought, "Ok, I have rounded the bend, and it is time to hang it up", but I am vindicated, and will hang around squinting through one eye for a while yet, for better or worse- </div></div>

Rolf, You obviously are reading my posts wrong...I take it (going by your comments) that you think i was making a comment about your eyes or eye sight being deceaving...well not the case! If you look back, i said that Pics (Meaning Pictures)can be deceaving. Lighten Up, any help you give is taken and appreciated.