Seafoam Question

Guest steakneggs

Guest steakneggs

I would like to try some of that Seafoam tranny sauce I keep hearing about on this forum. Eggs' '99 Regal tranny "hunts" between third and fourth and is occasionally whiny and harsh. Do I run some in their awhile before I drain it? Or do I drain it first and put some in with the new oil? Or both? I think it is a 4T60E. Steak

I've not used it yet, but I will when I get the Reatta out of storage. My plans are to crack open the tranny line and drain out the same amount of Seafoam that I would add. Then I will run it for about 1 month and drain the tranny and change the filter.

My issue is that the car shifts fine during normal driving, but when I accelerate hard from a standing start it won't shift out of first. I figure that I'll try this first, and if it doesn't work then I'll have my mechanic friend clean the tranny out

Guest campolojr

Dave mine to does that but I have fulid in the line coming off the modulator which I here means thats bad I dont know if that would be the culprit but I will soon figure out.

According to the instructions on the container, it says to use 1/2 to 1 full pint of TransTune <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-style: italic">prior </span> to a Tx flush or fluid and filter change.</span> It also says that this amount will not normally overfill the fluid level however, the fluid level should never exceed the manufactures recommended level.

I put some in my Tx over two years ago and failed to notice that it was to be done prior to a change of fluid. It is still in there. Doesn't seem to have done any harm.

But... "always read and follow the manufacturers recommendations."

campolojr.... if I understand your post above...

you are getting transmission fluid coming out the back of the modulator.... correct?

The modulator is hooked to vacumn and if the "guts" of the modulator have failed and allow transmission fluid to get to the vacumn line, it causes at least two problems.

The transmission does not shift properly because the modulator is not "modulating" and the vacumn line is sucking transmission fluid out of the transmission and burning it in the engine.

You need to at least unplug the vacumn line from the modulator and plug it with a golf "T" until you replace the modulator.

The advice on plugging the vacuum line may be questionable.

The result of plugging the line and not allowing any vacuum to the modulator will be shifts that are very hard. It could possibly damage the transmission seals as well as other parts, if the car is driven that way for an extended period, due to them getting full pump pressure applied on every shift . The modulator valve regulates the amount of pump pressure applied to the transmission on each shift.

Vacuum drop is what allows the modulator valve to make the transmission shift it's hardest at wide open throttle. Plugging the vacuum line will simulate wide open throttle shifts for the modulator valve.

I would just change the modulator valve (not a high dollar part at Advance Auto Parts and just about a 15 minute job - one bolt) or park the car until I could get the job done.

My modulater valve was leaking as well last fall. I replaced it with one from Advance. The first one only gave me the hard shifts as discussed by Ronnie. I took it back for a different one, which shifts fine [like the factory one], but I have the shifting issue. So as I stated before, I will add the seafoam, run it for about 1-2 weeks and drain and fill with a new filter. At that time if the issue is still there I will get the modulater cleaned.

Guest campolojr

Yes, Ronnie I do need to get it fixed soon it hasnt been burning really anything so I wasnt to worried doesnt shift to hard under normal driving conditions so I was gonna wait untill I had a warm day should be coming next week they say I will let you know if it fixes my problem also there is an elctrical piece right above the modulator is that suppose to be loose and wiggly? thank you

Guest campolojr

Well, Today I went to autozone and bought a foot of vacuum hose, b12 chemtool, and an adjustable modulator. Replaced the modulator no problem old one was full of fluid so I am glad I got it done. Replaced some of the vacuum lines that were pretty dry rotted helped my rough idle alot runs smooth plus its not sucking tranny fluid. Took it for a ride and it shifted like a dream but I wanted a nice positive shift so I tweaked it a little and all in all I am happy today it was a nice day to work on the car. Had bought a Fix A Dent by simonize and decide to take it back because it says you have to have the car between 64 and 72 degrees I believe and I dont have a heater so I geuss it can wait a little while longer. Thanks to all for your worries in my reatta she appreciates your kindness