What Oils are you using in Pre-War transmissions-Axles-Shocks

Ovalrace25

I have many uh,, experts telling me why and what they are using for oil....

So tell me what to put in the

Shocks

Rear Axle

Transmission

Steering Box

Lets say we are working on a 29-30 Cadillac - 28 Packard - 29 Auburn and a 26 Willys-Knight

Yep I do have my own opinion, but we all have opinions… Tell me yours!

I'm having the same problem with my 28 Pierce so I will be watching this with interest. One thing that I have been told consistently by many sources is not to use modern sulfur-based GL-5 and GL-6 gear lubes in older trans and rear axles, they used bronze bushings and other parts and the sulfur apparently attacks and damages the metal. GL-4 is OK. True?

Tons of experience in this regard with Packards, 1932 (beginning of hypoid rear axles and synchromesh trans)to 1955 I have used Valvoline High Performance SAE85-140 EP gear oil in steering gear boxes, transmissions, rear axles and overdrives for 20 or more years in a dozen or so cars with no issues at all. In a 1931 Pierce that I service from time to time, I use straight SAE140 gear oil (GL-1). Both are available in 5 gallon pails, and the straight gear oil is usually a special order item.

For shocks, I use Mobil's hydraulic oils, Mobil DTE-24 for SAE10, DTE-25 for SAE20.

Guest ZondaC12

There's a local '32-'48 Ford V8 resto/part repop business that sells this "600W Oil" that actually says www.macantiqueautoparts.com in fine print on the label. They told me it would be safe for the old bushings and stuff like that. The rear end fluid in my 38 was shockingly fine when I examined it before taking the car anywhere, but the transmission obviously needed something (and leaks) so I use it in that, and would in the rear if I needed to.

Mobil still makes 600w which is a steam cylinder oil. This has a similar consistency as 140W. The tech rep from Mobil said that this was fine for our tranmission/rearend applications. He stated that some of the new gear EP oils use sulphur base additives which can react with brass and bronze bushings.

http://www.mobil.com/Canada-English/Lubes/PDS/IOCAENINDMOMobil_600W_Cylinder_Oil.asp

I called Lubriplate some time ago and talked with their tech rep and they said that they have a gear oil SPO-277 which is comparable to today's 140w or Mobil 600w. It is a modern oil that doesn't contain the animal fats of the 600w. He said it is safe for bronze, brass and silver alloy.

http://www.lubriplate.com/products/gear-bearing-recirculating/spo-series.html

These products are not for shocks.

One additional thought here - the 600w is very thick, I think even more so than the comparable modern 140w stuff that I understand to be the generally accepted replacement. One reason for the thickness in pre-synchro transmissions is to slow down the gear action for less chance of grinding. Would stay with thick oil in the trans on the earlier cars. I happen to use the oil from Mac's that Zonda mentions, but this is readilly available from most of the early Ford parts houses. I do not know who makes this for them.