Any new ideas?

D-a-n-i-e-l

OK, so I have modified my Reatta a bit.

List of mods:

SC series one engine (just have to finish the tune)

Using a radio brain out of a 96 Caddy (to eliminate bass roll off)

F-body brakes (front)

LCD and dvd player running through stock radio

Top notch sound system (I love loud clear classical/techno music)

Laptop converted to display through LCD and have full access to 300+ gb music collection

Hidden radar detector (I some times develop a lead foot)

Soon to come:

Rear brake upgrade

Converstion to newer ABS system (perferred to be a 91’ Reatta but we will see)

Now is there any other interesting suggestions for modifications?

I will try it just as soon a find a Z06 chassy to set the Reatta body on. C'mon I am looking for realistic upgrades. Not pipe dreams. Because, I do Real projects not things that only extordinary well off people or people with cooprate sponsers, can do. I do the things any working man with a bit of drive can do.

I am just trying to be real, not an A**, so do not take it the wrong way.

Fort Lewis? I spent 3 years back in the early 70s stationed there. This was the return point from Nam for many troops. Was there 3 months before I saw Mt Rainier for the first time. Walked out of the PX and stopped short-first day without rain and overcast and I could not believe what a beautiful mountain right in front of me!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D-a-n-i-e-l</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will try it just as soon a find a Z06 chassy to set the Reatta body on. C'mon I am looking for realistic upgrades. Not pipe dreams. Because, I do Real projects not things that only extordinary well off people or people with cooprate sponsers, can do. I do the things any working man with a bit of drive can do.

I am just trying to be real, not an A**, so do not take it the wrong way. </div></div>

On the realistic side, I would really like to have the instrument panel from a 90-91 model in my '88 Reatta. I really like the way the gauges look (tach, speedo etc.) much better than the plain look the '88 panel has. I have only saw photos of the 90-91 models so I have no idea of the feasibility of changing the instrument panels. What do you think about the possibility of changing them?

Guest Reatta1

Seems simpler to just buy a 90 or 91 than to change all the electronics. Same body, same engine (except 91) and no modifications to the panel and modules. Also, there are plenty of 90's around at reasonable prices plus there are any number of afficiandos who would like to have the 88 or 89 with their unique electronics. grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 'Reatta1'</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Seems simpler to just buy a 90 or 91 than to change all the electronics. Same body, same engine (except 91) and no modifications to the panel and modules. Also, there are plenty of 90's around at reasonable prices plus there are any number of afficiandos who would like to have the 88 or 89 with their unique electronics. grin.gif </div></div>

I agree, but you are missing the point of this (Daniels) thread. He <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">wants</span></span> to do some type of modification to make the car unique. I was suggesting a modification he could make that I feel would make an 88 or 89 a nicer looking car.

I would like to have the 90 instrument panel installed in my 88 if it was done in a way that looked like it came from the factory.

Guest CL_Reatta

I would likw the idea of maybe changing the interior around a little and making room for a back seat.... like an actual back seat not the custom benches that I remember seeing on here.

The converstion to the newer dash is something I could look into and probably test. I do not know if I would use it in my Reatta but I do not mind figuring out and testin ideas.

As far as the LCD replacement, I am talking with a very smart and well educated person to help me mod the signal and do the convertion. The down side to that is we will not be taking on the task until I move back out here to the DC area in July/August time frame. The other down side is that he is still a four hour drive away and it will take a lot of beer to keep him interested in a project that he will almost certainly find below his level of experience. (the guy is doing his doctorial thesis on a antigravity machine, and he seriously may make it work) But when we do get together to do it I will be taking indepth notes pictures and will show all the details to do it in yourself.

Tom,

Lewis has not change much in that aspect, but I would still rather stay there than move back out here to DC. Oh well, I have no choice in that matter.

Any other ideas?

The back seat? What are you thinking of? I would invision a couple side facing seats (removable) just big enough for children up to 12 yo. Or maybe a single bench, but then it is still not enough room for a full grown adult. There is not much, if any, fluff space under the molded storage set up. So there realy is not any room to work with, without MAJOR cutting and welding. I do like the thought of fold down side seats in the back, but it would only be for short trips to the store. Definately not to take the kids to Grama's.

Hey Daniel,

I reside in Portland, not far from Ft. Lewis. As you know it rains alot here. But the rain is usually light, which means it beads on the rear window making it difficult to see rearward. I've always (well at least the 3 years I've owned my Reatta) wondered about the feasibility of installing a rear window wiper/washer. What do you think?

S.

Guest craig hewitt

how about a take off targa top. t tops dont look rgt to me i just bought a tofeo just because the kids [censored] mom and i are spending to much time with out them.im looking at a alante to i want all e bodies

I have also thought about a rear wiper. I would imagine that you could do it, but would most likely have to give up the center brake light, so you would have a place to mount the motor and pass through for the wiper piviot. I would not want to try it with out a extra rear windo on hand. And we all know how expensive they can be.

If you were handy with the Reattas computer hardware/software I thought it would be cool to add some functions to the ECC like a "demo mode" where it could show off some of the graphic abilities of the system and maybe some new functions. Not sure of what they would be but maybe something like maybe a tire pressure monitor or something?

I have acces to 3 rear windows, in additon to the one I have in my garage. Not including the one on my car, but you can't have that one....

I may have to take you up on that Tommy.

As for the extra functions on the ECC, I would love to try something with it, but that may take me a couple more years. Or may be if all goes well Doc (the person helping with the LCD idea) would be willing to take a look at the system and firmware set up for it. I do have a plan to have the tape player buttons wor my DVD/CD player but that is not quite the same as changing the display on the ECC.

One idea I think would be neat would be to adapt the late 80's/early 90's Trofeo color VIC display into a Reatta. The color display looks much nicer, and the visuals on that system were much more interesting than those of the 88/89 Reatta.

Since this is very likely based on the same hardware, if someone could reverse engineer the firmware and interfacing routines, I'm betting it could be done. Especially since it is the same platform (E-body) and many modules are probably identical except for their respective firmware.

Another possibility would be to examine whether the Reatta hardware is capable of color output, even though it is obviously set up for monochrome display. If so, get a color CRT (or better still LCD) and change the firmware to "colorize" the displays.

Since it is my understanding that the touchscreen system (specifically the CRTC) is based on a Intel 8088 or similar PC style hardware with quasi-VGA type video capability, the video subsystem in the CRTC may be capable of color and simply programmed to send all output in white, which shows up as green on the mono CRT.

One other unrelated mod, what about putting the Trofeo "aircraft" loop handle shifter in a Reatta? I always thought that shifter looked good, and kind of modern which would fit well with the Reatta.

KDirk