Vanity case

Guest 1930

I am hoping that someone out there might have info on 29 DA vanity cases, does anyone have any documents that list the items that are supposed to be part of the set. I was told ( and have no doubt ) that there is originally a mirror and a comb, I definately have the original mirror and also have a comb but not sure if the comb is original or not, I would like to see any pictures of these two items or at least documented proof that these are two items included in this set so that I can show other people that might question originality. The DA parts manual lists the case but says nothing about the contents, I have been trying to get this info for quite some time so any help on this would be appreciated. Thanks

• 1 year later...
Guest capzoo

I just found your forum post. I also am on the same quest. I have a 1927 - 28 Buick with a vanity space but no tray left. Please keep in touch with me if you find out anything. You make reference to a DA? What is that? Have you any idea who made these trays for the auto industry? Thanks Linda....my direct email is cobblestoneinn@rochester.rr.com

I just found your forum post. I also am on the same quest. I have a 1927 - 28 Buick with a vanity space but no tray left. Please keep in touch with me if you find out anything. You make reference to a DA? What is that? Have you any idea who made these trays for the auto industry? Thanks Linda....my direct email is cobblestoneinn@rochester.rr.com

DA is a model designation for a 1929 and 1930 Dodge Brothers.

Thats neat Bob, yes you are guessing right, the oak top is for the vanity case, your car would have one vanity and one ashtray mounted under the rear quarter windows forward position just next to the curtain cord. Cases are identical as far as I can tell except for the inserts that we have mentioned.

Guest Backyardmechanic

Bob& Jason,

Thank you for pointing out the vanity case as I have one on the left side I also thought it was a ashtray too.Could you post a picture of the mirror and comb.Were there two one on each side?

Vern

I believe that it depends on what your body was as to what your car may have come with if at all. I can look it up if you clarify what bodystyle you are dealing with or better yet I can tell you what I find and worse case scenario make a guess after doing a little studying. I can post a picture in a day or so, as I mentioned I am not sure if comb is correct and have not found anyone that can show me what it was supposed to look like, I found both comb and mirror inside of a vanity case with a car that as usual sat for a very long time. I am sure that the mirror is correct as its outer wrapping matches identical to the vanity cases covering. If you had both a vanity case and smoking set than one would have been mounted on either side

Sorry it took so long but I had to find the time to dig them out, like I had mentioned there is no doubt on the mirror being the original unit as its covering is identical to the covering of cases and I know that to be original since I have more than one set. You can see here the differences between the ashtray and the vanity case. They are identical except for the insert at the top.

I never noticed until looking at this picture that the mirror and comb are identical in length. I would not be surprised if it was the correct comb. Supposedely Harry Redding has possibly pict. ( not sure about that ) I have asked him a few times in the past and he says he does have info somewhere but I guess he was never able to find it.

If anyone has any info it would be nice to know. Harry did say that he has himself never seen the mirror or comb, he said that as far as he knew I was the only one with the set so that makes me think that it will prob. always be a mystery to some degree.

post-48869-143138106333_thumb.jpg

post-48869-143138106336_thumb.jpg

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

Guest Backyardmechanic

Jason,

Thank you for the pictures I do have one but will have to look to see what I do have.Was there a lid on these or just open at the top like we see in the pictures?Maybe this is off topic but does anyone have a pattern for TOP bows for the DA 4 dr.sedan?

Until next time,

Vern

No there was no lid, they are just how I show them, I dont have any patterns and I tried to give away a set of top bows a couple of years back but no takers, Maybe Bob can provide patterns if he still has his roof apart.

Vern, yes I did take measurements and made freehand drawings for the top bow assembly. I had a local woodworker help me on this. The originals seemed to be oak and to get the curve the bows were originally fingerjointed.....my woodworker was not adept at this method and so laminated up (3) 1/4" layers of oak and bent each layer accordingly....sort of like miniature glu-lam beams. The next 2 days are busy for me, but I'll dig out the drawings and a couple of photos this weekend and post them for you. Have a great day!

I have very limited info on them, I briefly looked at what I knew I could get to easily and that is my parts book which states only the standard sedan would have come with the smoking and vanity case, the standard sedan meaning the leather interior or base model at the time. I do feel this is innacurate or incomplete info as I have seen first hand deluxe sedans ( or sedans with the mohair interior ) with the smoking and vanity case as well, and there is little doubt in my mind if taking into account the condition of vehicle that it came with the car, the other Victoria bodystyle that I know about also had both cases originally in it if I am not mistaken although they were not installed and were given with the car a it traded owners. My feeling is that if you went in and bought a Dodge in 29 you could have the dealer install just about anything he could sell you before you signed the dotted line, that prob. accounts for so many of these discrepencies.

Bob if you know what your original interior was and just wanted to do exactely what the parts book specified than you might be half way there. If you want I can give you a part # and you can maybe call your local Dodge dealer and order a new set?

I am pretty sure that I have some salesman data

OK just a brief summary after looking a little farther into it, according to some salesman samples I have the Dodge Brothers six deluxe sedan ( question being is deluxe meaning Mohair and Broadcloth ?? ) came with two ash receivers standard along with a plethra of other amnenities. The New Dodge Brothers six 4 dr. sedan came with and I quote....Assist cords and corner lamps are omitted and one ash receiver and vanity case replace the two ash receivers. ( they are comparing aginst the deluxe sedan ) Accesories are the same with the deluxe, while any of the extra equipment may also be installed on the Four door ( and other bodystyles in my opinion ) at additional cost.

So that pretty much says it all. Like Doug always says are there two DAs alike??

Jason. I can hear the total silence or the "duh-uh" when I call the local Dodge dealer with a part number for a 1929 smoking case! :) Yeah, as far as I know I only had the one vanity; not that a previous owner may have removed the smoking case. My car compared to your description was not fancy and I don't know all the small differences between DAs...I only have the window shades w/ guide cords; no assist cords / straps, no corner lamps ( only the dome light).... it does have the footrest in back, robe rail ( actually mohair covered cording), a weird add-on cigarette lighter / dispenser ( I think added in the 30's-40's) and a brass registration holder on the dash ( haven't seen one on another dash; probably an add-on too). As I posted over a year ago I did have a mohair headliner; I know it did prompt quite a discussion, but I'm going to replace it w/ mohair .

Yes since that discussion I have looked into the headliners further and found descriptions stating that the headliner would have been the same material as used on your upholstery. I quote.. the interior of the roof is trimmed in harmony with the upholstery....

That description is used throughout some of the other bodystyles and if you compare parts book descriptions you will note the same data leading to have us believe that the material chosen as primary material was used throughout vehicle.

If I look at my own vehicle with a broadcloth headliner that I know to be original and note that the upper portion of my upholstery ( which is also original ) is also broadcloth I am satisfied that the above statement is being understood correctly.

If you had a mohair headliner than you also had mohair upholstery throughout is my understanding and belief.

I believe that mohair was most expensive and broadcloth was your second string. leather was the cheapest material of course.

I looked into this a little further and according to publications from 29 that were not written by Dodge a vanity case smoking case combo or smoking set was avail at extra cost on all bodystyles including the open cars so I hope this clears everything up.

The quote is used throughout Dodge Brothers handbook but I am now specifically looking at issue I page 17. It is amazing how many differences wether it be updates or added info is avail throughout the different issues of the salesmans handbooks. It would be nice if we all got together to compile all the different issues together and make a more complete set but I wont hold my breath on that.

I guess you would have to ask the question what did they use for a headliner if there was leather material used????

Thats what makes all this fun though!

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

If you look in the parts book it will clearly list the body upholstery and the roof upholstery in the same categories under the same headings so it would make one believe that if you had leather interior than you had what they calles an immitation leather or leather headliner?

Anyone have a DA with a leather interior??

I have no idea what to think with that.

I dont know if you will be able to read this yet but here is the page and you will see the info at bottom, I just noticed that the placement of ashtray or vanity case is different from where I have seen it on actual cars so either it is due to artists rendering or they stuck them whereever the boss decided they were going to go that day of the week

post-48869-143138106791_thumb.jpg

I do not have a headliner. Unless you count the masonite they used on top! I will be doing the insert on it soon and will be needing info pertaining to a business coupe. The wood bows are still there and in good shape. I am about to put the padding and top material on my son's 25 DB coupe as well, just finished the wood and chicken wire. Then I can do my DA.