NorthEast ignition/coil repros

West Peterson

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 34PackardRoadsta</div><div class="ubbcode-body">West,

Thanks for posting this here as well. I am never sure if I should double post smile.gif .

</div></div>

I know what you mean. How dare we bring up Packard questions on this sight.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: West Peterson</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 34PackardRoadsta</div><div class="ubbcode-body">West,

Thanks for posting this here as well. I am never sure if I should double post smile.gif .

</div></div>

I know what you mean. How dare we bring up Packard questions on this sight. </div></div>

Hee hee. I just don't want to waste folks bandwidth with duplicates smile.gif .

I asked the seller what they meant about not being compatible with Delco-Remy. We'll see what they say. The distributor on my car is the original North East. The Packard parts manual lists a Delco Remy replacement coil for all 7th-9th series. Perhaps one was to replace the distributor as well?

Thanks tons for the help.

Cheers,

Tom

The repro does not look very much like the original where it shows thru the dash. The original switch just sticks thru the dash from behind with no bezel so it is critical for appearance sake that the key slot and surround be the proper size. I'm sure the repro would work but why not just put a switch with bezel thru the hole and remotely mount the coil if originality is not a concern? I would think you could find an original for the same $250. I may even have one though I can't guarantee the coil is good.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Restorer32</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would think you could find an original for the same $250. I may even have one though I can't guarantee the coil is good. </div></div>

I saw a few original go on Ebay last year for $600.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tbirdman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I actually have an extra coil that I was planning to put on E-Bay sometime in the future. The coil has the key and the bezel.

</div></div>

Bezel??? The original (for 1929-31) doesn't have a bezel. Is yours for a 1932? Is it the same as what I've pictured above, except a bezel is included?

Guest imported_Speedster

Tom,

I know I'll get Poo-Pooed by some of these originality Diehards around here, but have you considered getting a $15. coil and hanging it on inside of firewall and then get any $20. ignition-switch that looks good ? Very few people, that know the difference, look behind the dash anyway. As long as the coil and wires are neatly positioned, that's the Important thing.

I don't remember if you plan on having the car Judged at shows, but I think that's the only reason an expensive original type coil should be considered a necessity.

Guest imported_Speedster

Yes, I can understand that side of it, It just seems Shameful to spend $500. for something that's not necessary. smirk.gif

I guess that's what happens when you 'Grow-up Poor'. blush.gif

Guest imported_Speedster

The main problem with buying original types on eBay and at Swatmeets, is that 99% of the time you don't know if they are Good or Not, until they are tried in a car. Sure you can do continuity testing, but that sometimes doesn't tell you if they are going to arc and short-out when power is applied. They are really a Gamble. Used ones were Removed for Some Reason.

So the expensive Repops are the only ones that come with a garrantee.

I only use my coil as a switch today and a generic 6V coil on the firewall. However since I have got Classic and Exotic to rebuild an extra coil, I plan to replace my dead coil with the one they rebuilt. As you know I like originality.

The coils I have would not be guaranteed. I would get them rebuilt. I know one is dead...actually not quite but almost dead, as once warmed up, it will necessitate you to call a tow truck. Took me two weekends and three tows to figure it out. shocked.gif

Guest imported_Speedster

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: West Peterson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Exactly why I kept searching for one that was only $50. What do I have to lose? </div></div>

You could Loose $50. plus a lot of time and effort. laugh.gif LOL

Guest imported_Speedster

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tbirdman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: West Peterson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ken

What does Brian charge to rebuild? </div></div>

~$300. Nothingthey do is cheap. </div></div>

Who and Where is Brian? Is he at Classic & Exotic ?

I was wondering if we should put them in the Xref thread ???

Do they Only rebuild, or do they have some for sale also ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Speedster</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tbirdman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: West Peterson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ken

What does Brian charge to rebuild? </div></div>

~$300. Nothingthey do is cheap. </div></div>

Who and Where is Brian? Is he at Classic & Exotic ?

I was wondering if we should put them in the Xref thread ???

Do they Only rebuild, or do they have some for sale also ? </div></div>

I don't know, but Classic and Exotic just rebuild as far as I know.

Guest 1956Packard

I think Brian is from Classic & Exotic.

However, I can't be sure though as after 3 un-returned telephone calls I never was able to speak with anyone other than the girl answering the phone.

I gave up. Apparently they didn't need my business.

Geoff