Looking to buy tires

DAVES89

Dave, I was able to pick off a set of take off tires and wheels for $850. There was 20 miles on the tires. I went to my local Buick dealer and even with my GM discount the wheels and tires would have been $2200.I keep the plain jane aluminum wheels and tires hiding in my basement.Arizona wheelcovers and Recycling in Phoenix is where I got the wheel and tire deal. frank

Dave, not trying to sell you a set of tires just pointing out that there are some good buys on takeoffs out there. If you want to keep the car original,goodyears are the way to go. Randy, got a good deal on Goodyears from a tire shop in Burlington,Wi. Maybe he will chime in here on this thread.

It seems our size tire, 215/65/15 is rarely used anymore? I walked the pick and pay and only found one. So, even a new ordered tire might be old? I had a tire come apart at 60 the other day. [My Reatta is a use only when you have too]. Not even a daily driver. My friend at the tire store said to put 205/70/15's on it if I were going used. Even used, they would be newer. That size seems to fit o.k. My old tires had plenty of tread left, just old...........ken

Guest steveskyhawk

My tire guy puts it very simple. Rubber is a vegtable. How long do vegetables last? You risk life and limb not to mention ruining a car that isn't easily replaced. Buy a good set of NEW tires and forget it.

I just bought a set of four at my local Goodyear tire center. I went in asking for tires made in the USA.

They had the Goodyear Assurance Comfort Tread (at just over $500.00 for a set of four… ouch), the Assurance Triple Tread and the Regattas in my size (215 65R 15’s) The Goodyear branded tires were a bit pricy for me so the salesman suggested a set of Republic Enterprise 70,000 mile tires. Said they were made by Goodyear. Also said he had a set on his Sable. My guess is that they're an outfit that was bought by Goodyear and sold in Goodyear stores for the "price conscious" buyer (Me). But, they had what I consider one of the more important features I wanted in a tire… the words "Made in the USA" cast into the side walls. For a set four I paid $295.52. (works out to $73.88 pre tire) That price included stems, balancing, mounting, the disposal fee, tax, free lifetime tire rotation and lifetime computer balancing and little green valve stem caps. When I saw the green caps on the car I figured that maybe they had an assortment of colors to choose from so I asked if they, by any chance, had any light gray caps available. The kindly gentleman said that they did not have any gray ones and that the reason that the caps on my car were green was due to the fact that they used nitrogen gas to fill the tires. How’s about that!

I also had a little mailing card from them with some grand opening specials (new store location). One was a free radiator drain and fill with a four tire purchase. The other was a lube, oil and filter change using Valvoline "Durablend" oil for $10.00 (reg. Price $24.95). I also had an alignment done but the jury’s still out on that and a topic for another post.

What can I say about the tires? They are new and they feel like new rubber. As for handling I can’t really say just yet. We’ve been getting snow here every other day and haven’t been able to really get on them.

I had asked the same question previously and I am VERY happy with the advice to purchase the Kumho Ecsta ASX 225/60VR15. See information here. These tires are very quiet and have incredible grip in dry, wet and snow conditions. It is too early to attest to how many miles they will go, but frankly, with the performance they provide, that is a secondary factor. Are there better tires? Probably, but I doubt you will find one in the $300.00 for a set of four price range. I am sounding like a salesperson.

Here's a cut and paste from a while back regarding tires...

"Doral tires are very low-line tires manufactured by the Suni Rubber Company in Indonesia. we just had a Reatta arrive here with a set. three of them have tread separation. the tires are about a year old.

if you are looking for excellent tires for your Reatta, the Kumho Touring 732 is unbelievable. you can find them at tirerack.com for about $47 each. I've gotten rid of all the Michelins on my cars (with the exception of one; Kumho doesn't make a whitewall in a 16 inch size), and the Kumhos are far superior".

Mike

"The roads in Arizona must be really smooth and in good repair. The highways and byways here in Northwest Indiana aren't as forgiving. I bought a set of the Kuhmo Touring 732s after reading of their virtues on this board. Had them installed on my 88 at the Tire Rack in Southbend, IN. They are really responsive and hold up well while corning. But that same characteristic is what makes it seem like you can feel every crack and pebble on the road. My 19 year old son loves 'em. I've got Goodyear Eagle GPS P215/65R 15 (m+s) on the 89 (came with the car when I bought it) and they make for a cushier ride which I like better. Both vehicles have Monroe Sensa-Tracks on the suspension."

My $.02

John F.

"Actually, many of the roads in Arizona are in excellent shape. however, I drive on over six miles of dirt roads before I even encounter the luxury of a paved road. these roads are either dusty washboards or foot-deep mud when it rains. I based my opinions on all of these conditions, not just the smooth roads.

the most important thing to remember on any Reatta, regardless of tire manufacturer, is the tire pressure. it should NEVER exceed thirty pounds. many of the tire jockeys automatically put in the maximum listed on the sidewall (usually 35 PSI), and the Reatta will ride like a rock, as well as bounce on every bump. it was not designed for the newer high-pressure tires."

Mike

"Thanks for the response. I'll try dropping the PSI."

John F.

I did try dropping the pressures but the Kuhmo 732's still were a bit too sensitive to road defects for me. Again, they were very responsive and held the road with confidence going through hair pin turns at 50mph. Maybe the Kuhmo Ecsta's are more forgiving on crappy roads than the 732's.

Khumos are highly rated on the Tire Rack web site.

Again, just my .02.