Help with oil leak!!

Guest drtoddh

Guest drtoddh

I'm pretty new to this forum. 3 months ago I purchased a red/tan 89 with 105k. So far this forum has helped me tackle a new headliner, change the accumulator, seal window leaks with silicone tubing. The "To do" list includes new carpet, changing all fluids, and putting on the new wheels I just purchased on ebay. Suddenly a new problem appeared which I hope you all can help me with

My car has ran fine since I've had it. No leaks. Today after not running it for a couple weeks, I backed it out of the garage and saw about 1-2 cups of oil on the ground below the pan. I'm 90% positive it's oil and not brake fluid or tranny fluid. The oil pan has a lot of oil on it. I really don't know where to start. Is this something I can look into at home or should I take it to a garage for this. I'm not a mechanically knowledgable person, so please don't get too technical. But if there are some basic things I can do to narrow down the cause I will tackle about anything when I can find good directions. Any help is much appreciated.

(By the way when I took the Reatta to the local Buick dealership a couple months ago to have fluids changed, etc. They told me they couldn't work on it because it was "too old" and they didn't have anyone there old enough to work on a Reatta. I thought that was pretty amusing.)

Thanks, Todd

It's hard to diagnose a leak without seeing the engine up close and personal like but... given the info you posted it's possible that:

1.) The drain plug is loose or,

2.) the small washer-like gasket on the plug itself is deteriorated or missing.

Cars of 18+ years of age (like ours) can have oil leaks at various places. Could be the oil pan gasket, timing chain cover gasket, intake manifold gasket, valve cover gaskets etc...

One way, albeit not the only way, is to wash the engine, run it then perform a complete visual inspection.

Good Luck.

Todd, I just want to add my 2 cents to what John had to say. You can easily replace the oil pan gasket if that is the problem. I changed mine not long ago and it was really easy. Unlike a lot of other cars, the Reatta Oil pan will come off without much problem. Disconnect the oil level sensor connector, remove the flywheel dust cover, starter and the bolts and it will come right off with a little sliding around to clear the pickup screen. I have the small reduction starter on my engine and I didn't have to remove it but if you have the standard, large starter I believe it will have to come off.

Before doing anything else you need to jack up the car and determine where the leak is coming from. Like John said, there are several places that can leak that will look like an oil pan leak but on closer inspection may be something else. A good cleaning may be needed to determine where the oil is coming from.

On the front (passenger side of engine) the timing chain cover gasket or seal behind the harmonic balancer will look like a leaking oil pan gasket. Also on the front the oil filter assembly can leak down on the oil pan in the front.

In the rear (drivers side) of the pan, a leaking rear main seal can run down the back of the pan and give the appearance of an oil pan leaking. Remove the flywheel dust cover to get a better look.

Good luck!

Just to chime in and add a little some thing. Oil pan gaskets are not too difficult to do on your own. I do have two suggestions: use felpro perma-text (this is a pre-formed silicone gasket and comes with four screw-in holders, that make life a whole lot easier): two invest in a $25 dollar torq wrench from your local parts store.

The cost of doing simple tasks on your care is minnimal compared to paying a shop. Unless your time is worth more than $60+ per hour.

Another almost fail safe way to determine oil leak origins is dye....

Other possible items/locations are the oil level sensor, intake manifold, and oil pressure sending unit. There are some TSB's on both eng and tranny oil leaks at Reatta.net that are worthy and interesting....well worth looking up.....esp the tranny TSB.

Guest Greg Ross

Two cups of oil is a big puddle, the Oil Filter or the pan its' self I would think is the only source of that volume of Motor Oil. Draindown from the timing cover or valve pans couldn't produce that amount. The oil level in the pan would not be high enough to drail out either of the front or main seals with the car parked. (unless Dr. Todds' Garage is on a California Hillside and he has a huge incline!)

Can you corrolate the position of the puddle relative to the right, left, front or rear of the engine/ transmission?

I'm thinking the Oil level sensor which sits below the resevoir level of the oil or maybe the pan its self, either damage from road trash or rusted out. If the Oil filter was loose he'd have been more likely to fry the engine.

To get under the car you need to elevate it safely, that means jacking it up, using jack stands for safety or ramps. If you're not prepared to invest in those basics then a trip to a Repair shop is in order.

Is the power steering squawking and squealing by any chance?

After I bought my car I replaced almost all the gaskets, tranny lines and oil level sensors.Still had a very slow leak, then when I took the car out of storage to get it repainted I had a big puddle. Turned out my power steering pump had gone bad, and was the source of the leak. Check your pump level.

Guest steakneggs

The easiest way to find a leak is to drive the car up on ramps. Then place a large stain-free piece of cardboard between the ramps and let it sit for awhile. If there are no drip spots then you must start the engine and see if it's a pressure leak. It will be one of the two. Steak

Guest alex_houston

The one thing you didn't say is which fluid level was low. Any leak 2 quarts will certainly be visibly low on your dip sticks.

If you had recently had your oil changed, I guess would be loose filter or plug with rpeference on loose filter..

Guest drtoddh

Thanks for all the suggestions. All the fluids levels are fine as far as oil, tranny, power steering and brake. The oil level is about half way between full and add. Yesterday I put cardboard under the car. Today there are two seperate "silver dollar" sized stains. One is near the front/passenger side of the oil pan ( not quite over as far as the oil filter is). The other is about half way across the pan also in the front. The drips don't look to be coming from the filter. It is clean and shiney. The pan however is covered with black oily grime. I know I'll only find out when I pull the car up on ramps which I plan on doing later this week. thanks to everyone for their help, I'll report back my findings. Todd