My Barn ( garage) Find

I brought home a recent barn find today. I now have a 1926 Model T Ford 2 Dr. This car has not been licensed since 1960. I found out looking thru some papers that came with it that I'm the third owner. The previous owner owned since 1943. Unfortunately or fortunately by the time I got to the car it had been unburied form being used as a shelf. At some time someone removed the roof. No sign of the roof any where. Good news is the engine is not frozen. Interesting problem is the rear wheels are moving in opposite directions. So it made for interesting removal from the garage and loading on a trailer. This will be my first venture in the the "T" world. So I'll learn a lot. I more familiar with the 30's-40's Chevrolets.

I'm adding a couple of pics. Hope this works.

post-43499-143137965724_thumb.jpg

post-43499-143137965727_thumb.jpg

I understand that the wheel problem is not a problem. It may be something in the transmission or I can not find neutral on the hand brake lever. Will try this weekend to find neutral. Would like to get rolling on it's own wheels. I will need to get tubes for the tires. I have two that don't hold air and two that do hold air. I think Snyder's - Gaslight and I will be good friends as I work on this.

Thanks West !

I had an excellent experience this weekend at a local swap meet. This experience was typical of the kind of people old car people are. I mentioned to a vendor; that I have come to know over the years; that I had acquired a Model T. As it turned out he is a second generation T person. And he lives about 25 minutes from me. He volunteered to come to my house to give me Model T lessons, pointers and help me figure out why I can not roll the car. We will be getting together in a few weeks.

This hobby is full of wonderful people willing to share their knowledge to keep the hobby alive. There are also many people that are more than willing to help in a time of need in this hobby. On a National Tour a few years ago I had some minor mechanical problems, once the word spread of my problem. I have more help offered than you could ever imagine. To the point of a friend back home taking a part off of his car in his garage and shipping to FedEx Priority overnight to get me back on the road. Then about a week after I got home a spare part arrive on my door step. A fellow tourist had the part at home and had no need for it. So it was sent to me so that I would have a spare in the future.

I can not wait to get this car running. I will be patient as I don't want to damage anything after such long storage.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest speedydeedy

You are right in thinking the problem is not in the rear. Try cranking the engine and see which direction the car moves then you will know if it is stuck in forward or reverse.Looks like a really nice car. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...