interior electrical problems...

william_powell

Hello, I just signed up today, I have 2 Reatta's and both have electrical problems, I want to just work on my 91 for now..

The interior lights don't come on when the door is opened, they come on when the car is running (had to remove the dome light to drive) and they stay on a few min after the car is turned off. Also the radio/heater, light switches and shifter lights don't light up. The gauge cluster works fine my dimmer switch on the light switch broke but just won one on ebay (haven't received yet) and going to replace that when I get it

The 1991 is white/flame red with white bumper guards

the other is an 1988 red/gray with sun roof.

Anyone with any ideas would be helpfull, thanks.

Hello William and WELCOME to the forum....

You will get wonderful advice here, learn a great deal, and make many friends....oh shoot...forgot....have a BETTER than great time communicating with fellow Reatta Folks.

Anyway, I have not experienced your particular electrical problems, but I feel confident someone will be along in a short to help you....

Again...Welcome smile.gif

Nic

William, replace the dimmer switch you are expecting, and remove and test your door post switch (and possibly replace)as Barney indicated above---see what gives at that point....get back to us.

Please send Barney (same as on above post) your VIN numbers for the data base ( barney@texas.net )so that your vehicles may be registered at www.reatt.net .

• 2 weeks later...

hello thanks for the help, I replaced the light switch and now everything is working!!! the only problem was while trying to get to the switch I took the black inner bezel off and broke some snaps found out later the crome plastic bezel comes off with it. anyway I had to remove all the plastic snaps and then use rubber cement to glue on the blace bezel to the crome one....

I picked up a factory repair manual for my 91 and I wanted to replace the turn signal flasher, the manual says it is under the LH side of dash next to RH side of steering column

I found it by turning on the emergency flasher and it was under the shifter behind the fuses... the manual is for the Riviera also so going to have to do more research on some things I guess

• 1 month later...

Daniel you are right. I went over by my buddies place and we ran some checks. It turns out it is my power door lock selinoid. How hard are they to replace? What is the procedure? Are the ones on the Riv's the same? If so what years?

I have not done the door lock solinoid, but it should not be too bad. Be careful taking the door pannel off. The plastic pegs that succure the panel are often brittle and hard to find replacements for. How is the solinoid resposible for setting the door warning, guess I will have to look at the wiring diagram.

What I think happens is that when you close the door, the power locks actuate. If the selonoid doesn't trip the door to the fully locked position it trips the warning. I noticed when I got my car back from the body shop that my "light Show" didn't work. It works when I have the door in the fully unlocked position, not when I have the door in a partially unlocked position. In otherwords the actuater doesn't have the "muscle" to trip the door fully locked or unlocked, you have to keep pressing the button.

Our test was, we had the door open, started the car, put it in gear, waited for the alarm to show on the screen, then tripped the selonoid/lock latch on the door, and the light went out instantly.

Do you think the ones off a Riv are the same?

Guest TommyH

The door lock actuators are simple to replace, though I remember drilling out some rivits, though I also had to replace the door handle, and I cannot remember if it was entirely necessary to do that.

Guest TommyH

The door lock actuators are simple to replace, though I remember drilling out some rivits, though I also had to replace the door handle, and I cannot remember if it was entirely necessary to do that.