Driving after the roads are salted

1935Packard

Guest 70 Electra

I have to walk through my company's large parking lot everyday at work, and often can taste the salt in my mouth from the "dust" in the air, by the time I get to my daily driver.

Although I don't drive my old cars in the winter, I hadn't considered Dave's very good point about the salt dust blowing into the garage and getting in/on a stored car. It makes me REALLY glad that I seal mine up every winter in zippered storage bags (full of dessicant). The intent was to keep humidity away, but I'm unknowingly keeping salt dust away, too!

It rained pretty hard yesterday and dried out and warmed up over night, so today I took out the '35 for a 15 minute drive. It all went well until I took a turn down a narrow one-way street a few blocks from my house (a street I don't normally take). As I got to the end of the street, there was a *huge* pile of salt left down across the road that was still there. Aargh... I slowed down to about 2 mph to go over it as slowly as I could, so as to not kick up anything, and then drove slowly back to my place. I couldn't really see anything underneath when I got back, but I thought of at least washing off the tires (if not the entire underbody, at least what I can reach) in light of that pile of salt. Worth doing, or am I just being paranoid?

We were out of state for the weekend, and coming back this afternoon on I-84 we saw a super A-v8 roadster, a really nice period highboy. We trailed them for a while, older couple, hooded sweatshirts with hoods blowing off. Traffic flow was probably 70 or so, and my wife could not seem to catch up for a better look. Temp probably 45 or so. Brrr....