erskine 50j

Guest irisherskine

Guest irisherskine

Hi all

I have started to rebuild my erskine and have ran into a "small" problem. The crankshaft rear bearing filler block broke when I was putting it back in. can anyone help me locate one. its part number 130785. If anyone is intersted I have posted some picks on my web site www.nevcc.net. http://www.nevcc.net/Restoration_projects/Erskine50j.html

Thanks in advance

Éamonn

I had the same problem with the 1928 Erskine I owned several years ago. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but it is highly unlikely that you will find that filler block, unless someone has fabricated some recently. They were die cast and the die cast materials of that time were not of the same quality as today. They tend to swell up over time and then split and crack. I was fortunate to find a good running engine and just left the crankshaft alone. A reputable machine shop should be able to make one up for you. I understand other owners have had the part machined from aluminum as a replacement material.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest irisherskine

I spent some time over xmas with a pal who used to lecture in engineering at a Dublin college. He kindly allowed me to use his casting / engineering equipment and with his help and some teething problems we successfully cast the bearing filler block.

I have some picks of the whole process if anyone is interested Ill post them on my website.

The main problem we had been, the casting kept faileing due to excess gas in molten aluminum. It transpired the degasser we were using was out of date since the guy retired in 1981 :-).

I will make a few more for resale if any one is intrested.

• 2 months later...
Guest irisherskine

Thanks my email is . Just a quick update on the restoration I hope to have the body work in paint this week, then its the engine rebuild.

GUYS!

Please DO NOT put your email addresses in the replys, spammers (or other baddies) can harvest them and send you loads of spam, then sell them to other spammers to start the process over.

To send email messages to each other, click on the posters screen name, you'll see four options - use the "Send a PM" function to send a private message.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

My compliments on a well done web page to show us your work in process.

I won't complain how small my garage work area is now that I see how close your work space is.

You are very fortunate to have a friend with casting experience to help you reproduce the aluminum rear support.

Likewise the side jacket plate looks to be a good sheet metal job you have done.

Thank you for sharing this experience.

Stude8

• 3 years later...
Guest mbw555

Hi - I read with interest about your problems with the rear main seal casting. I have had the same problem and I'm desperately looking for a replacement. Do you still have any spares that you might have cast. Many thanks for any help you can provide.