Help Me ID Location of Buick Press Photo

Guest 70 Electra

Guest 70 Electra

I tried asking this a few years ago with no luck, but can ANYONE identify the location of this 1960 Buick press photo?

If the location is still standing, I'd love to shoot my (identical) car there.

Because of the Michigan plates, I wondered if it might be in Flint. Sorta looks like the Flint Cultural Center buildings.

Any help would be appreciated!

post-30901-14313796091_thumb.jpg

Guest 70 Electra

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dan Cook</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can you enlarge this to see what it says on the side of the wall? </div></div>

Good suggestion, but I should have mentioned that I've tried this. I have an original high resolution 8x10 and it confirms that the letters on the building have been intentionally retouched to disguise them.

Guest 70 Electra

Yes, I'd seen the wagon pix before, and knowing it was at the Flint Cultural Ctr, I thought maybe the convertible pix was from there also.

About 5yrs ago (prior to art center facelift?) I drove round and round the Flint Cultural Center looking for the photo setting. I couldn't find a thing, but hadn't considered that the location could have been facelifted or changed.

The suggestion to contact Jeff is a good one and I'll do it today.

I have just now noticed the license plate (AE4910) is the same one on both the white wagon, and the convertible. This, combined with observation that the male model may be the same, suggests there's a good chance photos were taken same time, and same/similar location.

Also, I wondered why the art gallery's name is clearly visible in the wagon photo, while the lettering in the convert photo has been intenionally retouched? Could this be a clue?

Guest 70 Electra

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BUICK RACER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Greg, send an email to Jeff at the Sloan Museum, maybe he can identify, I think Brian and Norb are correct it's definitely somewhere at the Flint Cultural Center. sloan@sloanlongway.org </div></div>

Just heard back from Jeff. He stated "I'm reasonably sure that it is not a building in the Cultural Center."

He did suggest that it may be a location at the GM Tech Center. Seems plausible. I will have to check it out next time I'm down there.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 70 Electra

MYSTERY SOLVED!! smile.gif

Special thanks to David White at Kettering University Archives for identifying the mystery building.

Turns out the building is on the campus of the Mott Community College in Flint (formerly Flint Junior College). This makes sense, since this site is adjacent to the Flint Cultural Center where several other of the 1960 Buick press photos were taken.

The building is called the Durham Natatorium. I've been told it was originally built in the mid-50s, as the "Cady B. Durham Natatorium". Note that this name exactly fits the obscured lettering on the Buick press photo.

The building still stands, but the exterior was extensively remodeled about 15yrs ago. Here's a photo of it taken this week.

Comparing to the 1960 Buick press photo, it's not immediately obvious that they're the same. But despite the remodeling, it still has the unique stairways (one up; one down), the same roof, and the same profile of the foundation (note the location of the basement ventilator duct on far left of building).

post-30901-143137963129_thumb.jpg