1927 Buick 6 fuel pump

27alf

I have a 1927 American LaFrance fire truck on a GMC chassis with a straight Buick 6 cyl. It has an electric fuel pump that someone put on prior to my buying the truck. I am looking for a mechanical pump to put on, does anyone have any idea where to get one. I do not have the old pump, so I have no numbers to work from. Thanks for your help

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear ALF:

If you post the stamped engine number here, I can ID the engine series for you. I would assume that it's the big 6 cyl Buick engine, but you know the old joke about "assume".

Regards, Dave Corbin

Guest imported_Thriller

There is also a 1927 Buick group on Yahoo groups. If nobody here has the answer, that group is full of 1927 Buick owners who could definitively answer your question.

Good luck. It's nice to hear you are taking it back toward originality.

I am very happy to hear from all of you on my fuel pump delema. I checked the engine number and I found a stamped number on the side of the block,(2591870) I noticed that there is a steel plate (home made) covering a hole into the block at the rear of the engine on the driver side. I think this is where the fuel pump was originally. Leif, thanks for the picture, when I get better at this computer stuff I hope to include a few of my own someday. I don't see any evidence of that type of fuel pump or a place to mount it. Thanks again for everyones help and I will try the Yahoo group to see if they have anything.

Guest DaveCorbin

Dear ALF:

I think the reason things don't quite match here is that the engine number you give (2,591,870) is a 1930 60 series engine, per the Buick factory records. It apparently has been changed from a 1927 Buick engine.

It's an engine of 3 7/8 inch bore by 5 inch stroke, total displacement 354 Cu. Inches.

I hope this helps.

Regards, Dave Corbin

Guest mclbuick2002

The 1930 50/60 series used an AC B-series pump .Part no. 855400.These differ fom the 1929 pumps in the 1930 has diagonally opposite mounting holes.The 29s have holes opposite each other near pump center.

Dave

These engines were 3 3/4 x 5 for 331.4 displacement.According to my manuals that was the biggest 6 Buick made.

Stan

1930-61

1930-47

1935-4499

1936-4499

WOW, this is great,you all are a power house of information. Thanks again for everything. One thing I found out about fire trucks is that they are built over a long time period. When you told me that the engine is a 1930s, that fits in with the front fenders. I found out that the manufacturer started the build at the end of 1927 (titled) and the truck was delivered to Williston FD (FL.)in early 1930. The 1927 front fenders were flat with a skirt around them (1922 to 1928) 1929 & 1930 had a rounded fender, when the build takes place they put the newer stuff on. Now I know I have a 1927 truck with a 1930 engine, thats great, Thanks again.