Thermostat question

dnt

I would think yes.

A simple test is to start the car cold. Hold the top rad hose. It should stay cold till the car is up to operating temperature at around 180 degrees at which time the thermostat opens and the rad hose quickly heats up.

What you will likely find is that your thermostat is leaking coolant into the rad and the rad hose slowly heats up as the whole cooling system including the rad heats up.

Time for a replacement.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: F14CRAZY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cool to hear you've got your issue fixed. Not having heat is a lot worse than not having air con </div></div>

Guess if I lived "Up Thar" I'd have to agree, but A/C sure is nice here.

OK, I need help in understanding something....for years everyone posts their heat in actual degrees....I have a 90, and do not know how to determine the actual degrees...I assume there is a way thru diagnostics....can someone enlighten me please smile.gif ?

Nic

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: padgett</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If mine hit 195 something would be rong. 179-181 gives lots of heat. </div></div>

I believe a standard Reatta OEM thermostat is 195 degrees. In a northern winter, if it only hits 130-140, you notice the lack of heat. No doubt 179-181 would work OK as well.

That is what I was really wondering Wendall....but didn't know for sure, since I have never really done hardly anything other than basics (the 2 main functions maybe) with the diagnostics before. Did or do not know how to access or find out temperature readings...but since you acknowledged that it is possible, I will go to "net" and find or figure out how...hey, sincere thanks for the reply Wendall smile.gif.

Nic