Question about hot water heaters

backydmech

Seen references to hot water heaters in 40s - 41s. Mine has hot water heater with I think ARVIN on front is this factory or aftermaket. Are these acceptable if restoreing to original condition? If arvin aftermarket are hookups avaiable from normal suppliers (am going to need fan, water outlet connectors from engine as well as most under dash except unit itself).

Arvin was an after market heater, I believe '40 and '41 LZ were each very different, it would help if you told us which one you are needing, and perhaps pictures of it would be forthcoming, but if you plan to drive your Z this winter, stick with the Arvin until it warms up again

How about a South Wind gas heater? They were dealer acessories and worked very well. I've seen them at swap meets, E-Bay, and all over the place. Some folks seem concerned about the safety of them, but I don't remember there being a big problem with them when many cars still had them when I was a kid. In fact, I remember that they were great, lots of heat before the engine was even warmed up. I've got one, but there isn't much need for it here in south Florida. I have been thinking about a swamp cooler, but I've heard that they don't work well in humid Florida weather but are great in the dry southwest.

WOW! ROLF nice setup.. Been in Soutern Calif Valley in summer if it works there it works anywhere.. not seen or heard of south wind gas heater but suppose I will in future as I get into project. Want to stay as close to orig as I am able. but might Have to go for air.

Back "in the day" that these cars were used for daily transportation, a heater was a necessity. Of course, air conditioning was out of the question, but the evaporative coolers that hung out the window were pretty effective in dry climates except they raised the humidity inside the car.

I would think that the after-market Arvin (or any other period piece) heater would be acceptable for judging, but how often would it be used? We have a Lincoln Town Car and a Ford F-350 with automatic temperature control for A/C and heat for our daily transportation and our collector cars stay in the barn when the weather is too hot or too cold! Pretty spoiled eh?

In 1970 we drove our 1947 Continental from Glendale, California to Mt. Snow, Vermont and on to Roanoke, Virginia on our way back home. No heater, no A/C. It was a relatively enjoyable trip (in recollection of some 37 years ago!) but we wouldn't ever consider doing THAT again!

In case anybody is interested, there is a Webshots photo album of the '47 Continental at: http://community.webshots.com/album/33590926dAmhsj

I have two Southwind heaters resting in "calm repose" in my junk pile that I'll never use. Anybody want them? I tried to sell them at the Pate Swap Meet a couple of years ago and got NO interest.

RolfBu,

that was an interesting picture you posted, Do not have expertise posting pic's myself but going too in near future I can see it will be a big big help.. have 2 of the vents you show in my pile of stuff but thought they were for defroster vents..... am I correct or should there be 3 similier vents? shucks, I have not started on interior yet or looked at it closely going back to it today sometime will study it a little closer,, sorry to be a bother, now that I have it started will order more books this evening.

I hope I made it clear, that picture was of a hot air heater outlet, the defroster duct and flex conduits are basically the same on both types of heaters, but the hot water heater has an actual tiny radiator core in it with an attached motor and fan, the AC was a gag, my sons '41 is a resto-rod with a 302SBF, AOD, etc etc, the visible AC unit is an optional unit sold for '65 and'66 Mustangs, I am sure Cecil has one in his famous 'stang

If you really need air conditioning, an aftermarket unit for a Ford should work. Hot Rod Air has the nicest I've seen. You get a compact heater-ac unit that fits under the dash. Not sure how you get fresh air to it. Controls could fit under the dash, or where the radio speaker now is. A split generator bracket is available to mount an AC compressor with the generator. Kind of ugly I think. A better solution would be to replace the lower crank pulley with a serpentine belt pulley - you'd have to make one from aluminum with a lathe. If you then reverse the impellers in the water pumps and replace the water pump pulleys, you could use a serpentine belt to mount AC compressor and any other accessories (power steering, supercharger, etc.) down low where it wouldn't be so noticeable. Also required would be two idler pulleys, a tensioner, and a new pulley for the generator.

My 48 cowl vent has a few screw holes in side the car at the bottom of the rectangular vent like something used to be connected to it. Haven't figured out what might have been there.

Abe