"Packard Chassis Lubricator Oil"?

1935Packard

I have a 1935 Series 1207 with the Bijur chassis lubricator. The system has been disconnected, so it's just for "show," but I was wondering what kind of oil is supposed to fill the reservoir/glass jar. The manual speaks of "Packard Chassis Lubricator Oil," and I have seen pictures of Bijur systems with a greenish oil in the jar. But I don't know what it is. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Back about 25 years ago when I was a working chemist I had some original Packard Bijur Oil analyzed. SAE50 motor oil is a pretty good substitute.

If you plan on driving the car at all, you should either restore the Bijur to working order to replace ALL the drip plugs with some means of lubrication (grease fittings) or pretty soon you'll have all sorts of serious problems with your mechanical brakes and suspension. Unless you've replaced the clutch throwout bearing with a permanently sealed and lubricated bearing, don't forget to make a provision to lubricate it as well.

Thanks! Yes, the drip plugs were replaced with grease fittings, so I really just need something that looks about right.

And I should add -- yes, I do plan on driving the car!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dave Mitchell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Bijur system is pretty easy to restore if you ever want to, and most parts are available. I have an orginal can of Packard Bijur oil, I can pour some out and tell you what color it is. What body style is your 1207? </div></div>

Where are parts available? I thought Bijur stopped selling parts a few years back. Thanks.

There really isn't much to service on the Bijur system. Sources are Classic & Exotic, and Bruce Blevins (check your PAC directory or Cormorant News Bulletin). But other than occasionally needing a drip plug or just cleaning the pump suction felt or a plugged line, the only service occasionally required is to replace the rubber vacuum pump diaphragm which is really a pretty basic "do it yourself job" for anyone who is handy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Owen_Dyneto</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There really isn't much to service on the Bijur system. Sources are Classic & Exotic, and Bruce Blevins (check your PAC directory or Cormorant News Bulletin). But other than occasionally needing a drip plug or just cleaning the pump suction felt or a plugged line, the only service occasionally required is to replace the rubber vacuum pump diaphragm which is really a pretty basic "do it yourself job" for anyone who is handy. </div></div>

I have bought things from both of these in the past and they are good sources for things. I plan to service the bijur system this winter. I probably won't need parts as, but not sure what I may run into. I believe someone posted a bijur servicing technique a while back on this forum which I need to find when I get to that point of my winter project.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: West Peterson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ken

I'm sure it will look splendid by the time the rainy season is over. That's when I can expect some beautiful photos and a story in my mailbox... right??? smile.gif </div></div>

Yes, I will send you a story and pictures, if the Packard club doesn't get me committed to a mental institution for doing this additional work. smile.gif

Guest 1926pack

If you need the actual connectors, try Blevins Screw. I got a fitting for my 26 Packard and it fits just fine. Also try the company that used to be Seattle Packard. I found a screw on cap from them. Hope this helps.

Thanks, Dave. Probably no need to open the can; I reinstalled the jar and sealed it up so I think I'm okay for now.

My car is a coupe-roadster. It was "restored" in 1978, and the guy that restored it replaced the glass jar of the Bijur system with a tin can painted black. I have no idea why -- maybe the glass jar was broken? Who knows. Anyway, I bought a replacement jar from Kanters for $70 and figured I would at least make sure the color was right even if the system is disconnected. Looks a lot better with the glass jar than with a tin can.