29 Packard fusing

Clemster

I have a 29 Packard 633. I'd post a photo if I knew how. I'm frightening about my original wiring. It is all connected, but lots of tape, flaking and liquid insulation. I'd like to instal a fuse someplace. At the battery junction box, I still have the rubber bulb over the connection. It is cracked and won't stand for much movement. I think I can remove the harness line from the big stud and add a fuse at that point. Or I could remove the line from the ammeter. The wire is very fragile. Suggestions, please.

Clem Clement

Guest imported_Speedster

If you can't replace the Harness, I think I would add the fuse at the battery terminal Stud. (That's in the smaller of the 2 wires at the stud) The other locations are more difficult to get to, and are more easily damaged.

I also always add a Switch in the battery cable, inside frame-rail or on firewall (mounted where ever it can be hidden but still have good access to it), to disconnect the battery from the system, in case of a problem or while the car is not being driven.

The Cutout Switch is also a good place to connect a battery charger, without removing the battery cover.

Guest imported_Speedster

Rhode Island Wiring is a good place to get harness.

They make them almost identical to originals.

Replacing a Harness Is a 'Major' Job, but it sounds like you really Need one, and if you take your time and be patient with the rusty screws, it can be done.

Web Link:

http://riwire.com/

Send you harness out of your car to the chosen vendor and have it replicated, don't buy it out of the catalogue by make/model/year, Unless you know someone who has the IDENTICAL car, and they bought a harness by make/model/year and it worked fine--then you can purchase it by its make/model/year catalog listing. Chances are if you do replace the harness (which I would really recommend, as per restorer 32's advice) you will have a lot of little projects to do while the company is making your new harness.

If you do replace the harness you will be amazed at how well everything functions.

Thanks all. Time and $ stand in the way. I did do a 39 Ford pickup wiring harness last winter. Simple. The Packard has much more challenges. I'll fuse theline at the battery junction box. Oh and I do have a cutout on the battery -terminal.

clem

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Restorer32</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Replace the wiring harness or increase your insurance. </div></div>

You mean increase your car <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">and</span></span> house insurance laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Speedster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Replacing a Harness Is a 'Major' Job, but it sounds like you really Need one, and if you take your time and be patient with the rusty screws, it can be done.

Web Link:

http://riwire.com/ </div></div>

I used Potomac Packard who claims to have al the original wiring blue prints. I think the the wiring harness for a 29 would be very easy and is not a major job. Figure cost in the $500-800 range.

They are probably working from the National service data books, good sources, but all wiring harness reproducers copy an actual harness taken from a car. Maufacturers make changes thruout a model year. If you want the same harness to go back into your car (+ addidtional wires for turn siginals, etc. if you wish) send them the one from the car and have it replicated. I know a few restorers who will only do this. They, like me have gotten shorted a wire or tow by buying the harness by make/model/year from a catalogue listing. Perhaps other Detroit volume makes are truly the same early-mid-late production, and you can just order it out of the book, but I woud send them yours for duplication. They won't mind.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tbirdman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Speedster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Web Link:

http://riwire.com/ </div></div>

I used Potomac Packard who claims to have al the original wiring blue prints. I think the the wiring harness for a 29 would be very easy and is not a major job. Figure cost in the $500-800 range. </div></div>

Guest imported_Speedster

When I rewired the 645 I added fuses, behind dash, for parts of the circuit that may have problems or to isolate it.

I put fuses in the following circuits:

1 - cigar-liter, dome light, trunk light

2 - clock, gas-gauge (which were modified to electric)

3 - wiper motor (which was modified to electric)

4 - heater motor

5 - fuel pump (which was modified to electric)

6 - bumper mounted running lights

(Man, I didn't realize, but with all this modified stuff I may have to call it a customized StreetRod.) smile.gif LOL