Dorothy gets a sex change

Gary_N

Well, thanks to Me. E, I've got another parts car and this one is better than Dorothy, the project '54. This is great news sine it saves me a bunch of body work, which ain't my specialty. Anyway, check out www.wrenchhappy.com and click my blog for some pics, that is if you have any interest.

Thanks for bringing "Frankie" up Lamar. He seems happy at the moment!

Gary

Guest imported_MrEarl

OK, I can't resist this lead in line....

After a long night of making the most passionate love he could ever remember and feeling so manly, he notices a photo of another man on her nightstand by the bed.

He begins to worry.. "Is this your husband?" he nervously asks.

No, silly," she replies, snuggling up to him.

Your boyfriend, then?" he continues.

No, not at all," she says, nibbling away at his ear.

Is it your dad or your brother?" he inquires, hoping to be reassured.

No, no, no! You are so hot when you're jealous!" she answers.

"Well, who in the hell is he, then?" he demands.

That's me BEFORE the surgery."

Glad you like the body. It was originally from New Mexico, (I have the plates if you want them)thus the lack of rust and rot. It should put you way ahead of where you were. I still appreciate Dorothy for being as sound as she was, but that rear quarter would have been the dickens to deal with. Enjoyed the blog. perhaps i will start one....I guess that sorta equates to an electronic diary.

Guest imported_MrEarl

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gary_N</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you been driving the new one yet?</div></div>

Nope, got brake problems. The brakes that the guy I bought it from supposedly had redone....the right rear brake cylinder was pouring fluid when I picked it up Saturday. Sound familiar. I couldn't believe it. I asked him where did he have the brakes done, Athens, Georgia?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I asked him where did he have the brakes done, Athens, Georgia? </div></div>

Mr Earl, Sounds like ya'all need an ACE mechanic like me to show em how it's done down yonder there! grin.gif Find me a relitivly cheap piece of property with a decent shop and I'll be on my way. whistle.gif Yeah, I can whistle Dixie and pick it on the Banjo too! grin.gif Dave!

JD: This seems like an easier deal. Frankie is excellent from the firewall back and Dorothy has good fenders, decent inner fenders and splash pan sheet metal, and hood. Driver's inner fender has the usual rusted out battery box, but overall, this is a whole lot better that trying to straighten out the rear of Dorothy, which was hit on both sides. All I had was rusty rear quarters for that job. Now if I had Mr. Beck's skills, I might not have worried so much.

The big deal is swapping out all of the "Roadmaster" things from Dorothy to Frankie and finding some missing trim pieces, which seems like the hardest thing to do.

And of course, there's getting everything to go back together and line up. All those things that I'm learning as I go. Which means, somewhere is a couple of years I should be ready to paint!

Gary

If it were me, and the car was going to be anything except restored, I'd just keep it a Super. Roadmasters are great, so don't get me wrong, but the Super is simply, "Sup-urb" . I know in 54 the Super had a lower horsepower engine, but no one can tell what's in the car from the outside of the 322, so just drop the roadie engine in there and away you go. Plus from where you are in this project, maybe it would be nice to draft a 401 from 59-66 years into service, and move forward with an updated rear axle? That would make quite a nice piece IMHO.

JD

Guest imported_MrEarl

Steve what are you doing with 54 trim. oh geeez, no sooner did I get that typed than I realized your 55 sweepspears and a few other pieces will interchange. So so much for my getting all excited that you may be hiding a 54 restore out there in LA.

Gary, I would be on the look out for a 56 322 if I were you and if necessary have it rebuilt. and heck while at it why not go with a 56 Dynaflow as it has much more get up and go than the 54 or even 55. And while you're at it go ahead and swap out the front spindles to 56 for much improved maneuvering and handling. Throw on some finned brake drums and you can stop that big beast even faster. And if I recall you are planning real leather interior right... With all that I think you would indeed have yourself a "SUPER ROADMASTER" And if you recall the space after "Model" on Frankies data plate was left blank at the factory. Perhaps the guy doing the stamping was clairvoyant and knew that someday someone would create their own "model" for that car....56-76R cool.gif

Steve:

I'm missing the passenger side trim piece from the "b" pillar (if there was one) to the base of the wheel. Or better said,from the door to the fender well. All the other trim on Dorothy is bend and dinged, but should be repairable, I guess. I'd be interested in all that you have.

Now, as far as the resto, I have to keep her basically stock. I went through the add a 401, rear, etc, etc, But that's getting crazy. I want to save that craziness for my '50. By the way Lamar, can you get a price on the '50 Roadie in FLA? Yes, I do want a leather interior. But we'll see when I start adding up the expenditures.

I did get the radiator out yesterday. I put a bucket under the drain valve thinking coolant would come rushing out. Instead, all I got was dust and rust. The bottom end of the radiator is rusted out as well. I'm getting worried about the inside of that 322.

And Lamar, if I could find a running '56 with trans, I'd take it. But, it would have to be near by. Maybe I'll put a wanted ad out there.

Gary