Restoring 1932 windshield wipers

tbirdman

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: West Peterson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm not sure why any good chrome shop wouldn't do it? It sounds like two different shops to me. One to take it apart, another to replate the needed pieces, the first to put it back together again and make sure it works. </div></div>

As explained to me, the problem is the typical plating job would screw up the needed clearances.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: West Peterson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">From the pictures on your other post, they look pretty darn good to me. Perhaps you should seek counseling. laugh.gif </div></div>

It's like painting one room in your house...the next room then looks a lot worse next to the painted one and you end up painting that one. Soon the whole house is painted.

Hey I nee something to do to pass the wet oregon weather. smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Restorer32</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ron Monte in New Jersey used to plate and rebuild Packard wipers. Likely he still does. I have no other contact info. </div></div>

I spoke with Ron and he won't do it any more. He said he doesn't know of anyone else that will do them Issue is the pot metal quality. It gets distorted because of the heat in the plating process and are very tough to get working after that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: West Peterson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can always use a little Arkansas chrome! sick.gifwhistle.giflaugh.gif </div></div>

I hate to ask what is Arkansas chrome, but I suspect it's chrome spray paint.

I wonder if there's also an issue of putting on too much copper... which, would probably coincide with getting too hot. Cuz if you've put on too much copper, you've left it in the tank quite a while. With such a delicate item, I wonder if a flash coating of copper and nickle would produce a good enough finish before putting in the chrome tank for 10 seconds. confused.gif

• 2 months later...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tbirdman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Restorer32</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ron Monte in New Jersey used to plate and rebuild Packard wipers. Likely he still does. I have no other contact info. </div></div>

I spoke with Ron and he won't do it any more. He said he doesn't know of anyone else that will do them Issue is the pot metal quality. It gets distorted because of the heat in the plating process and are very tough to get working after that. </div></div>

Well while browsing last night on Ebay, I discovered that Ron Monte had placed for sale two perfect NOS 32-34 wiper motors on Ebay with a buy now price. I was never expecting to find anything like that on Ebay. I am happy to report I can now park in handicap parking because I had to give an arm and a leg for them. smile.gif This purchase concludes my interior restoration.

I have now two fair condition 32-34 wiper motors for sale. I only want an arm for them smile.gif

• 1 month later...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tbirdman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tbirdman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Restorer32</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ron Monte in New Jersey used to plate and rebuild Packard wipers. Likely he still does. I have no other contact info. </div></div>

I spoke with Ron and he won't do it any more. He said he doesn't know of anyone else that will do them Issue is the pot metal quality. It gets distorted because of the heat in the plating process and are very tough to get working after that. </div></div>

Well while browsing last night on Ebay, I discovered that Ron Monte had placed for sale two perfect NOS 32-34 wiper motors on Ebay with a buy now price. I was never expecting to find anything like that on Ebay. I am happy to report I can now park in handicap parking because I had to give an arm and a leg for them. smile.gif This purchase concludes my interior restoration.

I have now two fair condition 32-34 wiper motors for sale. I only want an arm for them smile.gif </div></div>

Well Ron Monte put another pair on Ebay on Ebay at the same price I paid and the auction ended in one day with a "Buy Now". If Ron has any of these left, I bet he quits putting a "buy now" on the auction and gets double what we paid for them. Now at Packard shows I can look for the other guy missing an arm and a leg but has impeccable wiper motors. smile.gif