38 Buicks - the best sources of information?

DBT

Folks

Whats the best way to come upto speed on 1938 Buicks? I have given the web a good bashing and as you may have noticed this forum as well but I do sense I may be asking a number of questions already asked and answered.

Is there a Bible [as it were] on the cars?

There is one book for example : The 1937/1938 Buick story by Walt Bruegger [which I think is out of print] but otherwise it seems just the owners manual & the workshop manual that I am aware of.

How for example can I determine the correct spec for my car - is there a source of body build numbers, is there a trim & spec guide for the models somewhere?

Apologies for the naivety of some of the questions but thats about where I am right now. blush.gif

Thanks!

there is a 37 38 Buick club. It would be worth joining and connect with owners of the same car year. Owners of these cars can be the best source of info and help.

I find that parts books covering the year of Buick of interest are really good for the info you're looking for.

I have a Master body parts book for Buick 1928 thru 1951. It has trim code info and models number info for these years.

It occurs to me that this info could be of interest to several members. Unfortunately the page format is too big to fit in my scanner.

Maybe I'll see if the office scanner can handle it, and post the images. I'll look into that.[ add to my to do list]!

I am sure that when Dave Corbin (The BCA's best numbers guy)returns from Hershey, he will help you with the numbers on your car.

I also urge you to join the BCA (if you are not yet a member) and join the BCA PreWar Division (it is free with BCA membership).

There is no better source for information and help for you car restoration as well as contacts and activities for you and your car.

Guest imported_Thriller

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ewing</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a Master body parts book for Buick 1928 thru 1951. It has trim code info and models number info for these years.</div></div>

So, why haven't I seen said book? I now have two cars it would cover...seems to me I need some time at your place doing research.

Actually, I kind of forgot about it. Well, not really forgot about it, but I used it for the 47 ( got it with a bunch of 47 manuals and parts). In looking at it today, I see it covers 28 to 51. That never really sank in I guess.

So, yes, you'll have to take a look at it for your 29 and 41.

[i took a look at it when I went downstairs to find the 58 service bulletins... that I had also forgotten about!!] Gee, I need to do inventory, who knows what I'll find.

The Books I use

1938 Buick Maintenance Manual

1938 Buick Fisher Body Service Manual

1938 Buick Engineering Story Manual

1938 Buick Parts Interchange Manual

Buick club of America Technical Tips Book

The Motors Manual that covers all GM cars from 1937 – 1938. This Shop manual is for repair of the mechanical systems.

Automotive Engineering Handbook set, 1938 – These books tell you how the parts work and have a lot of Buick info.

Seventy Years of Buick (Motorbooks International Crestline Series) (Hardcover)

by George H. Dammann (Author)

Check the old car manual project http://www.tocmp.com/

http://www.tocmp.com/brochures/Buick/1938/index.htm

http://www.tocmp.com/brochures/Buick/1937/index.htm

Look at your local library for late 1930's era Maintenance Manuals, Engineering Books, Classic car photo Books, etc. Since I do not have another Buick to look at in my town I check the web and ebay for photo's of cars and save them so I can compare to my car later.

I would check these places for book availability

CRANK'EN HOPE PUBLICATIONS

461 Sloan Alley - Blairsville, PA - 15717-1481

Phone (412)-459-8853

Buick club of America

Public Library

Swapmeets

Amazon

Ebay

Good Luck

Thanks everyone

Eric – B you kind of hit the nail on the head when you mentioned no other Buicks in your town – the nearest 1938 Buick to me that I am aware of is in Queensland, Australia –about 7 hours flying time. There is a 1939 90 I am aware of in Jakarta Indonesia but another flight and it’s the wrong year.. Thanks for your books list – quite useful.

Mark - definitely looking forward to Dave's return and to what extra light he can shed. I sent the numbers via another post to him earlier with associated questions and await with bated breath. Am a member of the Buick Car Club of Australia [NSW] but have not yet joined the BCA. Its on my list.

John - would gladly send you the codes but I dont have them! It would seem that I am missing the build plate from my car. What I was hoping to do was recreate this based on the engine and chassis information [3418109 & 149330102 respectively] which I suspect is a bit of a long shot but worth a try.

Regards

It appears the 1937-38 Buick Club has been in a state of flux for the past year or so....and has an uncertain future. No newsletter for many, many months, and with the club president/newsletter editor possibly going through some rough personal times. I wouldn't send membership money at this time. However, if you can simply buy past issues of the Torque Tube newsletter without joining the club, that would be fine. The newsletters used to contain a wealth of good '37-'38 Buick tech info. Just my opinions....based on personal observations from the past year. John in Wisconsin

Guest DaveCorbin
I am sure that when Dave Corbin (The BCA's best numbers guy)returns from Hershey, he will help you with the numbers on your car.

Dear Mark:

Am I getting infamous here?

To all of you guys & gals out there:

I was at Hershey last week and it's taken me a week to catch up a bit. I may be about to have a publisher for the big book of numbers! Stay tuned!

Regards, Dave Corbin

Guest imported_Thriller

Congrats on the progress Dave...guess I'll have to get off my butt and build a box for a tranny now that you're home again wink.gifgrin.gif

Yes Dave, you are getting famous.... for Buick numbers anyway.

I just talked to another HCCA guy from N California last night who needs to ID his engine. He doesn't have email, so I looked up your number in the BCA directory & gave it to him. I hope you don't mind.

Maybe if we both work on him, we can get him to join the BCA & PWD...