41 rear brake lines

Paul K.

I am installing the rear wheel cylinders on my 41 Continental after them profesionally rebuilt. My problem is that the brake lines when screwed in as far as they will go leaves the line still loose. When I tug on the line they slide in and out a little. These are the same cylinders and lines, no parts were changed and the threads on the cylinders are good.

Thanks in advance, Paul, San Diego

Thanks for the input, do you think that is possible on BOTH lines? They came apart easily, and they are going in the same amount of distance as before by looking at the threads remaining exposed. I am familiar with newer type cylinders that are not as deep at the line fitting, but not these.

To clarify, are you saying that maybe the last time someone attached the line to the cylinder it was tightened to the point the line was damaged or flattened so the next time it was taken apart (by me) it will not seat fully in the wheel cylinder? Thanks again. Paul

Hi Paul,

It sounds to me like your rebuilder didn't return the brass adaptors with your wheel cylinders. The front cylinders don't need them, the flexible line threads right into the cylinder. Probably to save manufacturing costs, Ford made all the wheel cylinders the same and the rear cylinders require these brass adaptors to accept the steel brake lines. Don't forget the copper washer between the cylinder and the adaptor.

post-32768-143137951498_thumb.jpg