temp. range '40 282

fred deagostino

I am wondering why you are using such a high temperature thermostat. Why not try a 160 degree one and see what happens. I also find that in summer when I replace the antifreeze solution with plain "soft" water and add a bottle of Redline WaterWetter the engine runs cooler than with the antifreeze solution.

I'd ordered that thermostat from Kanter, just assuming they knew which one went in there but it's been worrying me since I got the engine running. I like the idea of the 160 deg. better.

I'm pushing my luck but you wouldn't happen to have a brand and part # for that would you? Just though I'd try and save my poor parts guy some trouble. Thanks for the info.

When I had my front end all torn apart, I flushed the engined extremely thoroughly. I took out the water distribution tube to check, cleaned it, and put it back in as it looked practically new (50,000-mile car).

On cool days (60-70 degrees or so), the shutters hardly even open when I just do some calm in-town driving, and the temp gauge stays right in the middle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: packards42</div><div class="ubbcode-body">plain water and redline are great, but don't forget to drain in the winter, or have a cracked block, ask how I know. </div></div>

I have a good idea what happened so I won't ask! Even with global warming it still gets down below -40 on occasion so I never forget to switch to antifreeze in fact I usually do so in October.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: West Peterson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When I had my front end all torn apart, I flushed the engined extremely thoroughly. I took out the water distribution tube to check, cleaned it, and put it back in as it looked practically new (50,000-mile car).

On cool days (60-70 degrees or so), the shutters hardly even open when I just do some calm in-town driving, and the temp gauge stays right in the middle. </div></div>

West,

What was your flushing technique? I'm planning on doing thatthis winter also.

Remove grille and radiator

Remove water pump,

remove water distribution tube.

Hook up a homemade copper extension to the garden hose (the extension should be the length of the block, and should have a bend at the very end so that you can spray around each cylinder. I'll try and post a picture of it if I can find it.).

Turn on hose full blast. (the copper extension, being much smaller, will have quite high pressure if you crimp the end).

I just kept feeding the hose back and forth, up and down, right and left, until the rusty silt stopped coming out, then I did it a little more.

This is also a good time to rebuild a possibly bad water pump and radiator.