1927 Buick

Steve Sandbrook

Just purchased a 1927 Buick and was advised that I need to put an additive in the gas to replace the lead that was used in gas years ago. Is this correct and if so any idea what this product is called and where I can buy this product?

I would appreciate hearing from anyone out there who has this vehicle as I am not familiar with the 3 levers on the steering column?

Thanks

Guest imported_Thriller

My understanding is that with the low compression of those engines that you don't need to worry about lead - I don't intend to add anything like that once I get my '29 running.

There are Yahoo groups for 1927 Buicks...if you have questions specific to the year, the group consists of folks who are very familiar with these cars. I'm sure someone here ought to be able to help with the spark advance and other levers. I'd asked a bit about that for my '29 on the 1930 Buick Yahoo group...if you don't get a response here soon, I'll dig that up.

Guest imported_Thriller

Here's the information I got about starting the '29:

These cars usually run best with the spark plug gap at .040, but that is not

something that you have to do. If you are going to pull the plugs you may

want to regap the plugs.

Turn on the ignition.

Retard (pull down) the spark lever on the left side about half way, pull the

throttle lever on the right down about an inch and push in the starter pedal.

It should start right away. Many times, these cars will start without

retarding the spark.

--

So, two of the levers are spark advance and throttle.

There was no lead in the fuel in those years which is why valve jobs were done every 20,000 miles or so. Lead was used to lubricate the valves to keep them from "sticking" to the seats. I would run it till you need a valve job and then have hard seats installed if and when you need to have it done.

Guest imported_Thriller

Here it is...I was looking for this thread yesterday, but couldn't remember where it was or what it was titled.

Here's the levers on my '29.

29steeringhub17.jpg

The lever on the left is for spark advance, and the middle is for lights. I'm not absolutely sure, but believe that the lever on the right is throttle.

Just back from vacation, & I see you guys figured it out!

Derek got it right, but you will also need to pull out the choke for cold starts. I have never needed to use the spark advance for starting on 29 or 31 Buicks.

I think the spark advance on later cars may be a carry-over from before electric starters when hand cranking with full advance would cause kick backs.

• Like 1

Guest imported_Thriller

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mark Shaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think the spark advance on later cars may be a carry-over from before electric starters when hand cranking with full advance would cause kick backs. </div></div>

So presumably then, they kept it there as these cars still have cranks and can be started that way (not that I really, really want to).

Speaking of cranking large engines, I had a Cat Model 50 Bulldozer, (1930's, Gas powered) a number of years ago. Let see.... Yeah, 5 inch bore and 7 inch stroke, no starter. Insert crank, get it in the pin and step down on the crank handle with one foot one the blade and one hand on the radiator for balance. Good thing it started easy. Oh yeah, Don't forget to retard the spark first. Hee he. Dave!