Rear wheel Hub on 1931 Buick Model 8-57 Wooden Spokes

Foy

I am trying to remove the rear wheels and hubs from my 1931 Buick Model 8-57. I have attached a puller to the lug nuts and am pushing against the end of the axle but can not get the wheel to move. Is there a trick to this or is brute force required? Should I be concerned about the wooden spokes?

Make sure the hand brake is off before you start...

For artillery wheels, you need only remove the hub cap, remove the cotter pin, castle nut, & slotted washer from the axle and use a puller that screws onto the hub where the hub cap was.....

Or use the old timer's way...

With the wheel you want to remove on the floor, jack up the opposite wheel, back off the castle nut only until it is flush with the end of the axle, and hit the end of the axle with a piece of wood to push the car away from the wheel you want to remove. When the wheel pops loose, it will be held on the axle by the castle nut and washer.

Mark,

Thanks for your reply! Do you know anyone who has a puller that will screw on the hub? I would be glade to buy or rent it from them. If I have to make one, do you know what size pipe and threads I need?

I will try the Old timer's way. I don't think the hubs

have been off for a very long time.

Thanks again,

Foy

1931 Model 57 Sedan

1931 Model 57

Well, the Old Timer's way didn't work!

Does any one have any specifications on the pipe and thread sizes to make a puller to screw on the wheel hub? Looks like my only choice is to made one. However, I am still open to other suggestions.

Foy

• 1 year later...
Guest buicker

I just removed my wheel from 8-57 and it took about an hour of back and fourth with the wheel on the ground and jacked up. brut force by hand but finally I taped the end of the axle with a hammer gently and off it came.

Foy,

I am going to look for a wheel puller also. If I find a source or the specs to make one, I will let you know.

Also, would you mind doing me a favor? Sometime you get a chance, could you measure the width of your front and rear seats? I have measured mine where the back of the seat cushion meets the bottom of the back cushion. In the "crack", so to speak, from the outside of the left cloth covered bracket to the outside of the right one.

Both my front and rear seats measure 45-1/2." Is that what yours are?

I would really appreciate your help.

My email is dromberger@entermail.net

Thanks!

Dwight

The place to purchase a bell shaped wheel puller that screws on the wheel hub is Hershey in October. There is a dealer who carries a large variety of sizes just north of the stairs over the road at the west end of the chocolate field. The hubs come in a verity of sizes like 2 inchs, 2 1/8, 2 1/4, 2 3/8, 2 1/2, 2 5/16, 2 9/16, 3 1/4, etc. I suggest you take the hubcap to a machinist to measure for the correct size. Don't try to use a tape measure or ruler. If you know someone going to Hershey, contact them. They sell them from $25 to $50 based on the availability. If you get the size, I can pick one up and ship it to you from Hershey. Jack

There was a guy that I met in Chickashaw this year that made wheel pullers. All you need to do was send him a proper fitting hub cap. His name was George McMurty. He charged about $125.00 for the puller. He did a GREAT JOB. I will post his phone number when I get up to my trailer where I have his card.