Catalytic converter replacement

heygibb

I intend to replace my catalytic converter and found a suitable source on some previous posts. Here is the link:

http://www.performancepeddler.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=MAG23422

My ride has 94k miles on it and I have never changed it out. From the write-up on the description of this direct fit unit, it gives the impression that no welding is needed on the outflow side of the converter. Looking at the one on the vehicle, it looks like the original unit slides into the tailpipe connection to the muffler w/out a weld.

My questions are these:

Has anyone else tackled this on their own?

Can this be done by a layman mechanic w/ rudimentary skills?

I can't weld and don't intend to learn. I don't mind having a muffler shop do the work, but if I can do it myself, I'd rather handle it. I have the means to jack the vehicle up and onto jackstands to get under there.

Thanks for any input.

Tim

That is the thread where I saw the link to the cat.

juddev, since you have done this procedure, maybe you can give me a few pointers.

Did you disconnect at the manifold from below or from the engine compartment?

Is finding the proper gasket at the manifold difficult, since the cat doesn't come w/ one?

Did you need a guillotine clamp at the outflow to the tailpipe or just jamb it in there?

When you replaced yours, did you replace the complete exhaust system (tailpipe sections and muffler)too?

Thanks for any tips you can provide.

Tim