Tires for 1955 Packard 400

nosredna

8.00 x 15 was the original size, most had a 3" wide white wall, some had a smaller 1.5" whitewall, spaced away from the inner diameter. US Royal (AKA Uniroyal) was what Packards came with in '55-'56.

http://store.coker.com/product.php?productid=16166&cat=0&page=1

try here to start. If you are not going for strict originality try a radial--they are great with torsion-level suspension.

I'd bet that Packard used multiple suppliers for tires, just as they did for generators, starters, distributors, and the like. I have no absolute proof of this, but if you look at the pictures of the Howard Hughes/Jean Peters 1955 Caribbean, photographed many years ago upon its sale from the Hughes estate with only 400 some odd miles on the car, you'll note those tires were Generals.

Just wondering if a general consensus was ever made re radials on a V8. There was a thread on one of the forums some time ago on this subject and many opinions generated--some were opposed for various reasons. Some had many miles with no problems and were enthusiastic-- better gas mileage ride etc, while others were convinced the original wheels couldn't support the side to side stresses and recommended at the least more modern wheels, and others believed the steering geometry was placed under more stress and might be more prone to breaking. I lost track and never did near what the outcome was.

I had a discussion about the topic of using radials on V-8 Packards with Bill Allison, the engineer who designed the torsion bar suspension used in those cars. He overwhelmingly approved of using radials, and stated that had they been available in 1955-'56 he would have specified them. I know of no other higher authority than the engineer who designed the system. Bill said nothing about undue stresses.

Re: brands of tires on Packards--living in Detroit, and having seen other survivor Packards, most I have seen, and the pictures I have seen from the Packard photographic collection of the Detroit public library of post war Packard are mostly riding on US Royals. The Uniroyal (as it was later known) plant was on the corner of East Jefferson ave. and East Grand Boulevard, just a couple of miles away from the Packard plant.

• 2 weeks later...

HH56

We used to run bias L78 15 on a Packard 400, which is 820 x 15 according to White Walls Plus handy little chart:

http://www.whitewallsplus.com/cross.htm

L78-15 = 8.20-15

Radial equivalents are listed as:

P235/75R15

P255/70R15

A 70 series radial might be a bit "fat" for the clearances.

P235/75R15 should give you lots of choices in brands.

They didn't list any radial equivalents to the exact 8.00 x 15 that Mark mentioned as standard standard bias size prior to letter codes.\

Guest Albert

you may want to put a "junk" radial tire on a rim and see if it will fit first as the rear of the packards are pritty tight between the axle and the inside of the finders. I have had junk 235's on the back of my 54 packard when restoring it, and had to either deflate the tire or raise both sides of the frame so the axle would drop far enought to get the tire out..

• 1 month later...
Guest packard400

In order to provide clearance in the rear wheel

wells, I'm going to be buying 225/75R15's for

my 1955 Packard 400. My question now is what

is the proper width for the white walls. I have

heard that there was more then one size used

on my type of car. My 400 is a late production

1955 (#5587-7712). Any advice would be helpful.

For the narrow tires needed for old cars, buy the cheapest radials.

I put Walmart Marshall 791 tires on my 51 DeSoto. 215 75R15. They are 2 inches narrower than a name brand tire of the same nominal size and practically the same height.

In any case get the highest aspect ratio you can. 75s are still available, 80s were once available but don't think you can get them anymore.

The alternative is to buy from the specialty old tire companies. They charge twice as much but at least they have wide whitewalls.

Packard 400,

The P225/75R might be just a bit on the skinny and "short" side. They would be equivalent in width to the 760-15 rather than the standard 800-15 bias size. About 1/2" narrower and also less height, as the radial tires' "75" is the ratio of width to height. The sidewall of any 75 series tire will be 75% of the tire width. A narrower tire of the same series will always also be "shorter" or lower overall diameter.

So, while it should certainly give no clearance problems a P225/75R will cause higher speedometer readings and may sacrifice some handling and aesthetics as well.

I really liked the idea Albert had to give some good used radials a try first to see how they look and fit. Remember, though, that a very worn tire will have a lower sidewall and more clearance around the edges.

I recently put 235/75R15 radials on my 1956 Patrician. They are three inch whitewalls produced by Diamond Back Tires. I am very pleased with the look and the handling. No problem getting them inside the rear fenders. Diamond Back buys new tires from name manufacturers (Firestone, Michelin, etc) and vulcanizes white rubber on the smoothed outside. This way you get a known product modified with the whitewall width of your choice. I chose Diamond Back II tires (Firestone) as they are slightly narrower than the Diamond Back V (Michelin). They run $169 apiece plus shipping. Their phone is 888-922-1642, and you can see their line at www.dbtires.com