1970 442 trans

57chevymike

1970 442 4 speed trans.where should I look for the problem..can't turn the key and car is locked in reverse I'm not sure of where to start looking for the problem...If someone can help that would be great thanks.....I think a monster went into my garage last night and messed with my car..it was alright when I parked it 2 days ago cry.gif <span style="font-weight: bold"> </span>

Guest imported_buggboy

Is this car set up to where you have to put the trans in reverse before you can turn the key to "lock"? If so, I'd bet there is a bind within the column, or maybe from the gearshift, one of the small pinion rods. Might have a look at the factory repair manual to see if the issue is addressed there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 57chevymike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1970 442 4 speed trans.where should I look for the problem..can't turn the key and car is locked in reverse I'm not sure of where to start looking for the problem...If someone can help that would be great thanks.....I think a monster went into my garage last night and messed with my car..it was alright when I parked it 2 days ago cry.gif <span style="font-weight: bold"> </span> </div></div>

Get under the car and look at the shift arms on the bottom of the shifter. The arms for the forward gears should be in line in the center (neutral) position. The reverse arm should be the only one out of plane. I've had the situation where the shifter was worn and I accidentally got into two gears at once.

If that's good, disconnect the backdrive rod from the steering column down to the trans. You should now be able to move the key - though you might need to rotate the collar on the steering column while doing so. This should also unlock the shifter. Once it all works again, you will likely need to adjust this backdrive linkage.

We had something similar happen to one of our club members last year, only his did start - in reverse. Launched that car right into the back garage wall. His clutch was rusted fast. He had to get in the car and rock it with his body in order to break it loose. Once he did everything was fine. No damage to the car. Minor damage to the garage.

Paul

• 1 month later...

you dont say if you "solved" your problem but maybe this will help: The steering column on my past '71 442 that had an M22 in it would sometimes have to be "turned" to "unlock" the tranny and ignition.. sort of like the column was expecting a column shift, but did not have one. Once you rotate that back to where it should be, everything worked. I remember that it was pretty aggrevating, and I eventually removed the linkage completely that caused the annoyance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dave71442</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you dont say if you "solved" your problem but maybe this will help: The steering column on my past '71 442 that had an M22 in it would sometimes have to be "turned" to "unlock" the tranny and ignition.. sort of like the column was expecting a column shift, but did not have one. Once you rotate that back to where it should be, everything worked. I remember that it was pretty aggrevating, and I eventually removed the linkage completely that caused the annoyance. </div></div>

That's how it's supposed to work. The backdrive linkage rotates the collar (and internal tube) in the steering column to lock the trans in reverse when the key is off (as federally mandated). It also activates the backup light switch that's at the base of the column. If the collar needed to be rotated by hand then your linkage was either worn out or mis-adjusted.

• 1 month later...

sorry about the delay I did as requested as to using my hand to rotate the steering collar and this works thak you everyone for you input...i'm in need of a 70 dual bleeder non pawer disc brake master any info on this item would help as to numbers exchange thanks again