High Performance Chip

jbskinny

Guest F14CRAZY

A reprogram from Ryan of Sinister Performance (GMtuners) can help a little bit. Having the fans come on at a lower temperature for a 180 degree stat helps. He can't really get more hp out of the LN3, but he can make it so you have "power available, sooner" like with keeping the torque converter unlocked until like 60 mph

Something does not sound right there. TCC unlocks very quickly when gas is applied but mine locks at 46-47 mph and significantly assists MPG. If I ever am able to program PROMs again I'd drop the lockup to 45 mph/1250 rpm. If annoying could drop the TPS threshold to unlock as well.

I am curious Padgett. Everyone else is interested in raising the lock out but you want to lower it. Also why change the TPS as well. Your thoughts please?

Also for most of us with daily drivers that are interested in reprogramming our eproms, what are some recomendations?

I personally would like to do tow things.

I would like to lower the temp that the cooling fans turn on. I have I 180° thermostat. My car normally runs at 186° going down the highway even in 100° weather. I would like the fans to come on at about 195° and keep the engine cooler in traffic.

I would also like the torque converter to wait until 52-55 mph before locking up. When driving in town it is annoying to have the converter unlock/lock every time I let off and get back on the gas. To be honest I have never liked locking torque converters. I know why we need them but I don't like them. Yes, I know it would hurt gas mileage and I wouldn't want it if my Reatta was my daily driver. I use mine as a Sunday driver for enjoyment and to have fun. A little gas mileage can be sacrificed to do away with anything that distracts from that.

Guest F14CRAZY

Yeah having your fans turn on sooner would help. Supercharged, towing, 90 degrees out, and air con on, I don't think I've ever had it above 195

To me, lockup is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Internal losses go down, trans temperature goes down, and the revs go down. All of the cruise mpg benefits of a stick shift in an automatic.

Those here for a while may recall that in the early 70's I had a Rochester FI on a 67 Camaro ragtop with a 327 that would give mid-20s mpg and was competitive in autocrosses. Tall rear tires for street and short ones for the track. This was with a 3.31 rear gear and a four speed. Always wanted o/d but never found the right parts.

The key to mpg is to keep the revs down when they are not needed.

If you do not want lockup under some conditions, relief is as simple as a single pole single throw switch. On and Off. No need for a PROM.

ps the Reatta trans will lock up in drive (3rd) as well as o/d (4th).

• 2 months later...