Did the coil pak up grade

DAVES89

I was at the local u- salvage yard picking the bones clean of a '92 Riv. Saw the coil pak and couldn't resist grabbing that too. Looked at my car this morning and saw the slime coming out of the old one. Swapped it out, fired right uo ,but didn't run good. Checked my plug wires saw one was reversed and corrected that and now it runs as good as ever. Thanks Padgett!

I did the coil pack change on my red 90. I am now doing it on the white one. Will also change to Autolite Iridium plugs because between the internet price at Club Plug and Autolite's rebate program, they ended up costing no more than standard platinum plugs. I am also going to use 8.8 Accel wires that I had from an HEI small block. I will reuse the Reatta boots by drilling them out a bit to accomodate the thicker wires. Not sure if I will be able to run the thicker wires under the engine cover or will have to loom them elsewhere just yet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DAVES89</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was at the local u- salvage yard picking the bones clean of a '92 Riv. Saw the coil pak and couldn't resist grabbing that too. Looked at my car this morning and saw the slime coming out of the old one. Swapped it out, fired right uo ,but didn't run good. Checked my plug wires saw one was reversed and corrected that and now it runs as good as ever. Thanks Padgett! </div></div>

I have a white paste looking substance coming out the bottom left corner of my coil pack. Does that mean it will fail soon? The car is running fine. I guess I definitely need to start looking for the Delco coil pack.

Anyone know what models had the Delco system that will work on our engines?

Mine was running good, but when I saw the slime I knew my time was near to replace.

I went to car-part.com and keyed in 1992 Pontiac Transport. This will tell all the ones that will work. Remember this was a project done by Padgett. His conclusion was that if it worked on his '92 it will work for the Reatta conversion. Remember it has to fit on both our mounting plate and fit in our harness. I went to the local u-pick yard, found one on a car marked motor good and grabbed it. Cost me $20.00

I too ran into the same problem with a sticky oozing substance running out of what seemed the coil pack on my '89. My car still ran fine but the ooze was running down on the hoses and I was worried about a potential fire or it eating my hoses up. I went to buy a new coil pack and as I was getting ready to pay was explaining my problem and describing the ooze I was seeing. The guy at the counter told me it was not the coil pack but the control module directly below the pack that attaches to the coil pack. He said that the diaphram had ruptured on the module and the oozing was coming from that and not the coil pack. I took him at his word bought the control module instead, went home and went to work. Turned out he was right. It was not the coil pack. The module has a plastic, filmy diaphram that had ruptured. The oozing was definitely coming from it. I don't know if this might be a similar problem as what's been listed above but it's probably worth considering.

Just a quick note. The 8.8 wires can be routed exactly as the old 7mm. The Delco style coil with all the towers one one side makes for slightly "messier" routing, but does not create any problems. I would not want to start separating coil packs from the module, which is filled with an insulating material. Easier and cheaper to find the Delco unit at the wrecking yard that uses the same plug as the Magnavox.

OK, I have no idea why I am being stupid since I have done this once before, but the other car is on the road. Changed to the Delco coil pack and installed new plug wires, but they are obviously crossed. Since my memory lasts only about a week, checked the manual and see that if I am facing the front of the engine [not the car] the bank on my left has cylinder numbers 1-3-5 and on my right is 2-4-6. I assume the cylinders closest to the front of the motor are 1 & 2, and I assume the numbers printed on the Delco coil packs receive the corresponding wires. Where have I gone wrong?