Wheel ID...39-40 LZ?

Neal Jennings

Hello Neal,

The wheel you show in your post is a 1940 Lincoln Zephyr if it is 4 inches between the beads. It's a 1941 wheel if it it is 5 inches between the beads. It's *NOT* a 1939 wheel because the valve stem hole is opposite one of the lug holes, but it will fit a late 1938 through 1940 Lincoln.

May I refer you to my post #423368 - 05/02/07 entitled "1939 and 1940 Lincoln Wheels" on this forum in which the subtle differences between 1939 and 1940 Lincoln Zephyr wheels are shown. Both are 16 inches by 4 inches (between the beads). 1941 Lincoln wheels are 16x5 inches. In 1939, the valve stem hole is opposite one of the hubcap clips. In 1940, the valve stem hole is located opposite one of the lug holes. We suspect that this change was made to put the valve stem on top of the outside spare tire on the Continental which was introduced in 1940.

post-32768-143137945876_thumb.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: peecher</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> And, there are no vent holes in the mystery wheel? </div></div>

The wheels do have vents, but they are very small slits, not the usual stamped vent. That was what was confusing me in the first place. Someone said they could be Chrysler?

Neal