1964 VW Won't Start

Guest chieflander

Guest chieflander

I have recently gotten this 64 convertible, and it's been running fine until the night before last when it started missing badly. Then, yesterday, it wouldn't start... The same today. It'll crank and nearly fire, but just won't do it. There is plenty of gas in the filter and it's had a carb rebuild just a few weeks ago. Also, it has new plug wires. I know the obvious question; yes, it has fuel in it. A 1/2 tank, actually. I just can't figure it out... Help! (I've posted on thesamba.com, so I hope perhaps the 2 forums I can get some help)

Check for voltage at the coil with key turned on, 6V. Check for a good spark at the ditributor cap while cranking. Your distributor didnt loosen and move? Coil wire pushed all the way in?

Fuel pump still working? Fuel can still be in the filter but not in the carb. Take off the air cleaner and look down the throat of the carb while moving the throttle, should see a shot of fuel coming out of the accelerator jet. If no fuel maybe float is stuck closed or fuel pump is shot. Also there is a fine screen filter in the tank that can become clogged. Its easy to see under the tank and how the line attaches, undo the line and unscrew the tap to get at the filter. May want to siphon the fuel out it will pour out.

Start with the vary basics. Good luck, let us know what works.

greg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey Actually I am have the same Problem as that guy was . I Have been helping a friend of mine He recently bought a 1970 VW Bus and It won't start either. So far we have replaced the starter(which was broken) the distibutor Changed to pointless spark plugs distributor cables and even fuel filter. When he first got it the car was not able to run but we had gotten it to turn over three times and since then nothing

everyday we try to get it started Could the coil be the problem? Thats all I can think of.