Fellow members beware

Hello all! there is a scammer among us. Be careful. he claims to want to buy your car goes through all the motions to say he is wiring the money. He lives in WA? supposedly. then he uses a bank in different state. then wants you to pay the shipper and western union the money.. HE IS A FRAUD the phone number and email address is all the free ones you get online. Not a real phone number only a voice mail service then when he hear back no number on caller ID. then the bank he does the wire from is not even his it is someone's else's in another state. Then he wants you to open a wire account in his name banks DO NOT or you give him your identity. He must work in the banks or he could not tape out someones account. if you need further information contact me......

Like this:

"

HELLO...

THANKS FOR THEMAIL...WELL..I WANT TO KNOW THE FOLLOWING:

NAMEOF UR BANK...

ACCOUNT HOLDER'S NAME....

ROUTING NUMBER...

ACCOUNT NUMBER....

IT'D BE SO NICE IF YOU USE WACHOVIA BANK AND/OR WELLS FARGO BANK......LET ME KNOW WAT U SAY SO WE CAN GET THE DEALDONE AND OVER WITH....

REGARDS"

<span style="font-weight: bold">I have had 3 of them in reply to my Tbird:

http://forums.aaca.org/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Main/100161/Number/437669#Post437669</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">I think hint is most of them have been in Caps and lots of Errors.

Here is another one.</span>

"

HELLO ,

THANKS FOR THE MAIL U SENT TO ME...I REALLY DO APPRECIATE IT.....AS FOR THE SHIPPING THAT'LL NOT BE A PROBLEM ..I HAVE CONTACTED A SHIPPING COMPANY THAT WILL HANDLE THE SHIPPING...SO THAT'LL NOT BE A PROBLEM...

I WANT U TO KNOW THAT I'LL BE SENDING YOU A CHECK IN WHICH U'LL DEDUCT UR $43k AND SEND THE REMAINING BALANCE TO THE SHIPPING COMPANY THAT 'LL BE COMING FOR THE PICK UP AT UR PLACE...TO SEND IT OUT I'LL NEED UR FULL NAME AND ADDRESS WHERE THE CHECK ' LL BE SENT TO AND PROBABLY UR PHONE #....MY NUM IS 206-984-1840...DO SEND THE INFO TO ME ASAP...

HOPING TO HEAR FROM U SOONEST..

REGARDS"

<span style="font-weight: bold">Here is another one that wasn't in caps.</span>

"I am Henry Buckingham by name, I came across your 1955 Thunderbird which I am interested in, and I am ready to purchase it immediately. But I would like to know the present status and it's cost price so that I can proceed further on with payment.

Awaiting your favourable reply.

Regards..

Henry"

<span style="font-weight: bold">Just be Leary of any one who want to pay top dollar for your car and hasn't seen it and doesn't ask many questions.</span>

that is him. He contacted me for about 1 week and then sent me the confirmation from bank that money wire was started and the bank looked strange so I looked it up and it was in MI and he claimed he was in WA so I tried to find the name on the account and it was not his account and he wiped the account out. I found the right person and is helping get their money back. be careful..

There are many stories like this. Common sense applies.

"TALK" with the buyer.

If the buyer doesnt inquire about the car (condition, history, etc.) - its a scam.

Insist the buy calls you from a line not blocked. If they refuse it's a scam.

If he wants you to pay "ANYTHING" before funds are confirmed - its a scam

If payment issues are more complicated than a check, money order, certified check, wire transfer or cash - it's a scam

ALWAYS wait for funds to be confirmed before allowing the car or title to leave your possession - NEVER assume its good.

DON'T engage with an obvious scammer - simply delete the emails.

Law enforcement cant do anything until a crime has been committed - dont let it get to that point.

And finally - if it seems to good to be true, it is.

Peter

Hello all,

I've gotten a similar e-mail from a DEAN TAYLOR with an e-mail account of deantaylor_3@yahoo.com and the following number 206-984-1840. The same as above. The number is for a fax machine. When he called my cell-phone it would not display the number.

I told him I won't sell the car without an address and name of the shipping company.

He gave an address of

23 EAST FIRETOWER.SEATTLE,WA..98145...

Which did not exist when I mapquested it.

The shipping company name was divine dynamics which doesn't exist in the US. I googled it and checked seatle phone directory online.

I told him I wouldn't sell him the car. He then sent a message yesterday saying payment was on the way by DHL and gave a tracking number. When I checked the DHL site, the name sending the package was VIC MAYSE of Naperville, IL.

Hope this gives a better heads-up of what to look for with these details.

Becareful the money he sent to me was from someones account that he hacked into So I closed the account for the wire transfer and luckily the man received his money back, he has done it to a few people in Michigan (over $20,000) with 5/3 bank and the FBI is involved now. do not give him any information.

he gave me the same shipping company different living address for him in WA and then the western union for the shipping company was in CA do not get involved with him.. SCAM ARTIST!!!

• 3 months later...

Just remember, name of your bank, your name, address, account number, and routing number is on every check in your checkbook. If you write a check to someone, you have given them all this information. Make sure you have a friendly bank that alerts you to unusual activity.

One thinks that this is sacred information, it is out there. I keep a separate checking account for wire transfers and Paypal, and monitor it closely.

Happy motoring David Coco