Unable to get a proper idle.

Guest Thundercleise

Guest Thundercleise

As the title says I have been unable to get my Reatta to idle properly. I cannot seem to get it to drop below 1200 rpms without the transmission engaged, 1000 rpms with the transmission engaged. I recently replace the TPS and everything seemed well up until now. I thought it might be the IAC so I removed it and cleaned the chamber. When I reinstalled it and started the car I got the same thing at first. A high idle, then it seemed to try and adjust (I was in the diagnostic mode and watched the counter for the steps and it moved around) and the engined started idleing rough and then it just went back to being to fast. I also removed the battery for a minute or so but that didn't help either. The car is a 90 with about 136,000 miles. I'm really at a loss now and fear another couple hundred in repairs such as a computer or something.

Sounds like a vaccuum leak to me. Listen for a hissing sound under the hood. Spray some carb cleaner around the throttle body and listen to the engine. Any fluctuation would indicate the cleaner is being sucked in and thus you have a leak. There is also a vaccuum line that goes into the passenger compartment for the heating system. Make sure that is intact. Some of the hoses and hard plastic connectors are getting old and brittle.

Guest Thundercleise

Thanks, I did find that a vacuum hose was disconnected, so I reconnected it. It helped somewhat but it's still idleing fast. Guess I need to check all the lines. Are there any in a wierd place or are they mostly on the top of the motor?

mostly on top near the throttle plate. You may want to check the PCV valve connector too. That one is a little tricky to find. Standing at the passenger side fender facing the engine it is behind the idler pulley. It is plugged into the intake manifold. That grommet is notorious for drying out and turning rock hard.

Guest neroco2

Also check the water temp sender that tells the computer to increase the idle due to a hot engine. These can fail and then lie to the computer. The computer in turn raises the idle and enriches the mixture to help cool the engine. This is not the temp sender that tells you via the IP the water temp.

neroco2

88 and 89 Reatta's

Guest Thundercleise

I checked my vacuum lines this weekend and found no leaks. I also used a vacuum meter and I'm getting 21 inches at the manifold. Now this is an older guage and it reads normal, so would this be enough vacuum? Also, I have been unable to get into the diagnostics mode because the IPC is acting up. Would this cause problems for me? I like the water temperatur sensor idea as the the car idles too fast only when the engine is at operating temperature. Where would this sensor be located? Thanks all.

Guest Thundercleise

When the old TPS failed it caused the engine light to come on. It also generated a code. This situation is different than before. Would low coolant cause an increase in engine rpm's? I noticed my resovior is a little below the fill mark.

I had the very same symptoms....high idle, coded, replaced TPS, OK for a short, and then high idle again (when hot). While messing around I happened to move the wiring to the TPS, and it idled correctly.....Had to write Jim Finn and acquire the section (about 10 inches I guess) of wiring with the plugs for the TPS and IAC and solder them in. This is just another suggestion....you might want to move your wiring around or check the electrics.

Temp sensor also good suggestion...do you have a FSM? Good Luck,

Nic

Guest Thundercleise

It just occured to me that the connector for the tps is broken, maybe that's the case. It's still wierd that I don't get some kind of code anyway. I'm going to see if moving it around helps. Also, what is an FSM? I'll probably be contacting Jim Finn with a shopping list of stuff before too long. smile.gif

Guest Thundercleise

I do have the manual and it helps a lot. But I'm still having trouble figuring this out. That and I don't have a lot of time or money right now. I think it may be in the connector because now it seems worse than before, and it's the only thing I changed.

• 1 month later...
Guest Thundercleise

It's been a while but I finally traced the problem to a sticking Idle Air Control valve. The car started to stall ocasionally and that's when I figured out what was going on. It is wierd because I replaced it less than 2 years ago but I might have gotten a bum part.

Guest Thundercleise

Thanks, but I already tried that and that's when it started acting up. I replaced it today and all is good. Except for my transmission pan gasket fiasco.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Thundercleise

On the pan gasket, I had to use a silicone sealant along with a new gasket. The transmission shop I had it rebuilt at used a really cheap paper gasket and probably over-tightened the bolts. It leaked once and I had them fix it, the second time I took matters into my own hands. I went to my local parts store and bought a gasket/filter kit because I didn't have a part number for the gasket only. And what I did was clean off the mating surfaces of the pan and tranny. Then set a bead of silicon sealant around the whole pan, laid the gasket on, then another bead on top of the gasket. Then install the pan making sure to tighten only to 10 foot pounds of torque (check you manual as the may be different for each year). So far no leaks and going on over a week.